Rover T Series Engine - Help

e666

Hi guys - hoping someone can help.

The spec has been running fine ever since I first got the engine running last year. Took it to a pre SVA MOT (for peace of mind) and it failed emissions. Checked with other spekkers and the lambda sensor needed replacing with a proper Rover one (as oppossed to the ford unit supplied).

Everything ran fine and emissions where spot on. After driving home the engine died and wouldn't restart. Eventually got it running, got it back to the garage to finish off the MOT and it died again. When it restarted it died everytime you tried to apply any gas :(

They've hooked it up to an engine analyser and its reporting a fault on the Manifold Absolute Pressure senor. This car doesn't appear to have one. SO the guys at the garage are stumped...as am I. Cos it may be coincidence, but until I replaced the lambda it ran perfectly.

All thoughts, advice, knowledge greatly appreciated. SVA is next week....

e

Well its been on a Rover analyser and its only showing a problem with this MAP sensor :( Got the garage working on it at the mo - the owner build and races rally spec scooby's so he knows his stuff. Got a call it to RH tech as well.

e

Could it be the good old fashioned RH Supplied ECU. When mine goes wrong it's going to be the first thing I replace before going any further.

Have you had it tested?

So I'm guessing there's probably not a huge amount of experience on the T series on here, as I've not been able to find much on searching.

I thought I'd post updates here to contribute to the expansion of our combined knowledge :)

So far the garage have failed to help - had to tow the spec home :(

On the phone to RH - who passed me onto Avon Diagnostics.

Paul (very helpful) has said the MAP sensor failing is something that has happened to other RH supplied ECU's - so wasn't too surprised. (so Will looks like you may be right)

So I've sent it to him to be checked out....... Postponed the SVA (and lost £50!! :glare: ) I'll post an update on the probelm when I get one

e

Exacctly what happened to mine. The manifold pressure sensor went. Avon were fantastic and RH too really. They found a standard ECU in the factory, sent to Avon, Avon tested it and when they were satisfied it was ok, they sent it to me with thier dinky little gadget which fools the ECU into thinking it has an immobilisor attached.

This means in future, any further failure of the ECU, it can be replaced with a bog standard one rather than the 'modified' one RH originally supplied.

Also, I found that the unmodified ECU gave me a few extra BHP when measured on my G-Tech.

Thumbs up for Avon, who worked hard to get the unit back to me so I cold use the car at the weekend!!

• 2 weeks later...

I promised an update so here it is.....

Avon cant find anything wrong with the ECU - but haven't been able to test it on a rotating engine.

They dont have any spare ECU's and the only one RH had was from a distributerless engine - so no good!

Paul at Avon is struggling to find these ECU's - got a contact he's trying on Thursday. So I have a £9000 car in the garage ready for SVA that doesn't go :(

Anyone know if its possible to convert an engine to distributorLESS ?

e

It is fairly easy to fit or modify the crank pulley with a trigger wheel and sensor to use with an aftermarket ECU like omex, emerald etc but you won't get much change from about £700. Megasquirt is a cheaper option but more involved.

Have you checked and substituted the sensors for known good ones, ie the lambda. You say the unit shows a MAP sensor problem but you don't have a map sensor. Is there any input the ECU is reading as a MAP. Can you find a MAP sensor in the scrappy, fit it and wire it up to the ECU and see if it's happier?

Nigel

Hi Nigel

thanks for the input :)

I haven't tested any sensors yet - RH wanted the ECU sent to Avon ASAP - so at the moment there is no ecu, so I cant physically do anything...very frustrating, and RH tech support was going to voice mail all day yesterday :(

Turns out the MAP sensor is actually inside the ECU, it was the first thing Avon tested and it appears ok.

I shall do some research on the options you've mentioned - just in case I need a fall back position.

Thanks again - shall keep posting on this thread until its resolved

e

If the MAP is in the unit then I guess there should be a vacuum tube from manifold to ECU. Check it is clear, the right diameter and not leaking. The control circuits should be looked at complete. ie sensors, inputs, ECU, output, injectors or coils. If the ECU tests say its OK the rest of the system needs testing.

Not a fallback but the next logical step.

Nigel

Hi

Cheers for this. he vacuum feed is fine, and the diaphram reacts as expected (according to Paul). I've decided that once I here from Avon tomorrow about efforts to source an alternative, I'm going to get him to send my ECU back + a MEM's diagnostic kit and then I can start that process you're talking about.

Again thanks for the advice

cheers

e

A quick way to do this is to get a standard ecu from ebay and buy the 30 quid box from Avon. If you like, I will get the model number from my standard unit tomorrow and let you know which one to go for.

Hi

cheers for the links DREDD. Just got off the phone from Avon, they now have 2 units available and are shipping me one ready for the weekend. The downside is they have charged me £215 for it. If it works I'll have to try and get my money back from RH.........