Superspec Radiator And Thermostat

harvs

Hi

I've got my fan wired through the thermostat in the superspec radiator. It's previously been working fine, but now the fan stays on all the time (ie even when cold) - so suspect I need a new thermostat.

Does anyone know what make it is or where it's from?

Cheers

Harvs

It's from an rover SD1 2000 I got a new one (old stock) from rimmer bros and it was no good either so I fitted one of these in the top hose.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=661-8284&x=25&y=15

Easy to wire in using existing relay

HTH

Steve

Great, thanks Steve

Given it failed after not much use, and if you've had problems too, I guess it makes sense to replace it with something different. Your link's given me some ideas, and after a bit of searching, I've come up with a couple of additional options...

Car Builder Solutions

ebay

So the ebay one at £10 is the cheapest. Think I'll give this a go....

Have you got your 'probe in the top pipe'? :D - what temp do you have it set at??

Cheers

Harvs (/James)

Given we have an account at rs at work it was a simple next day delivery job :lol: :lol: I think it is set to about 90 deg, I just took it for a run and noted what the gauge said when running normally, then ran the engine just standing (no air flow) when the gauge read about 5 deg above normal i turned the switch until the fan came on.

I then put a dab of sealant on to stop it moving but can move it if I need to in future.

Bye the way good to meet you at Smallways

And yes top Pipe :good:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest QuadraDave

Hi Harvs i take it that your using the thermal switch in the bottom of your rad to switch on fan to test switch put multi meter on continuity if it bleeps when cold it is faulty if it doe,s not bleep when cold then thermal switch is ok. fault is somewhere else It should be normaly open circuit and then become closed circuit at about 90 deg im am wiring mine up at the moment as you know iv put an alloy hose joint in with thermal switch into top hose to switch fan on if you email me your address i can post you thermal switch out of my radiator till you get it sorted Dave D

Hi Harvs i take it that your using the thermal switch in the bottom of your rad to switch on fan to test switch put multi meter on continuity if it bleeps when cold it is faulty if it doe,s not bleep when cold then thermal switch is ok. fault is somewhere else It should be normaly open circuit and then become closed circuit at about 90 deg im am wiring mine up at the moment as you know iv put an alloy hose joint in with thermal switch into top hose to switch fan on if you email me your address i can post you thermal switch out of my radiator till you get it sorted Dave D

Thanks for the offer Dave, but I've got it sorted. After buying the thermostat to go in the top hose, I took off the nose to remove the wiring from the thermostat in the rad, only to discover that the connectors had moved slightly and were short circuiting. I've re-fitted them and added some sealant to stop it happening again. Easy fix!