Fitting A Turbo To A Vauxhall Redtop

Guest Richard Parcell

Guest Richard Parcell

Hi

Was wondering if anybody out there has fitted a turbo to a redtop engine? If so how difficult is it (not particularly mechanically minded but hey you have to learn at some time). Also approx how much bhp will it add?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

you can turbo anything but it all depends on the amount of cash you have spare, there are cheap ways but you'll only end up doing it all again and costing more,

the good thing with the red top is that vauxhall have already done it for you in the cavelier gsi turbo, so may be worth looking around for a trashed car or conversion package from a breakers.

think they were around 200bhp standard,

hth

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Home turbo,ing can be done but on a non turbo'd engine the compression ratio is generally to high meaning you can only use a few psi before detonation.

Low compression pistons or the cheaper but not so reliable de-compression plate.

Carbs or fuel injection? Needs thinking about as does spark and fuel map.

Big intercooler where to fit it.

It really isn't worth turboing a c20xe. It is far cheaper and easier to fit a LET. It has stronger internals and is designed for the turbo.

It would also cost you way more to try turboing the XE than just buying a decent LET

Guest jasonmorris

Why not spend your hard earned reddies on a few sensible mods for the red top if you already have one. 200bhp and more is easily achieved with these engines, and is plenty in a lightweight car.

Just my opinion of course.

Rgds,

Jason

200bhp and more is easily achieved with these engines, and is plenty in a lightweight car.

It is easy, but it aint cheap....

I have 210 bhp, but it needed a stage 3 seriously re-worked head (incl bigger inlet valves) a rally cam, solid lifters, vernier cams, OMEGA forged pistons, forged con rods & twin 45s (with hind sight bike carbs may have been better, but thats what I had!!)But I spec'd the engine a bit out of the ordinary, to get good (but not max) HP & keep it tractable. It will pull cleanly in 5th from 30 mph, which I doubt a turbo would do....but I have no experience of the LET engine.

Oh & BTW, it WAS plenty, but I'm getting used to it now...& looking for more again!!

Bob