Help Needed In Leicester

keith kelly

hi all,

i have a few days off next week (wed-fri plus weekend) and want to get the the engine running after i have removed the head and replace the stem seals. I have put her back together but need a bit of help getting her set up and running. i have followed the haynes manual and have had her running briefly (sounded ok while running) but before i could get the strobe connected to setup the timing she stopped. i turned her over again but she would not start.

i could do with some assistance to get her set up and running if anyone local is avalable to help, (Tea and buiscuits provided.

she is a 2.0l pinto engine std cam running twin weber 45's ( i am ok with the webers but still learning on the engine side)

i realy want to make it to the first show this year as i missed it last year as she was not ready so please help.

regards

keith

Hi Keith,

I know how you feel, just rebuilt mine. The following tips may help.

Cylinder No1 (front), make sure is at top dead centre.

Make sure that Cam is set so that No1 cam lobes are horizontal giving an up "V" effect, check this when belt is fitted as it can move when belt is tensioned.

Take off distributer cap and make sure that the Rotor arm is approximately in line with spark lead for No1 spark.

Check valve clearances. 0.2mm for exhaust, 0.3mm for inlet (slide feeler guage between cam lobe and rocker arm with Cam rotated to give the "V" affect for ech cylinder).

Before firing up, turn over by hand very carefully, just to make sure nothing is fouling.

Very basic guidelines, but should get you some where near to get her started.

Hope this helps