Brake Sevo

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

hi guys after some advice, just fitted a 4 branch exhaust to my car, I have a sierra dohc engine fitted, the brake servo will not fit as the manifold is bigger than the previous, the servo is on the passenger side of the engine bay, what can I do to get around this.

Thanks

Guest danny_samb

What do I need to get to bin the servo, how do I connect the master cyclinder to the pedal as the cyclinder is the passenger side, currently connected via a long tube that turns when the pedal is pressed and pushes the rod on the servo

Guest Ian & Carole

When I binned my servo I bought one of these

http://www.tigerraci...sh rod&x=6&y=21

You want the long one.

Remove master cylinder from servo.

Remove servo from bulkhead and refit master cylinder with the Tiger push rod. Job done.

Some say replace the cylinder with a Ford KA or Fiat 132.

I have run our car for 10 + years with Sierra cylinder without issue, try it 1st and see what you think.

It will feel very different to what you are used to but when you get used to it I am sure you will be happy with out the servo.

Edited by Ian & Carole

What do I need to get to bin the servo, how do I connect the master cyclinder to the pedal as the cyclinder is the passenger side, currently connected via a long tube that turns when the pedal is pressed and pushes the rod on the servo

Have you got a photo of your setup?

Guest danny_samb

No sorry no photos, it's setup the same as a Peugeot 206, from the pedal there is a short rod that connects to a tube, the other end of the tube on the passenger side is the brake servo and master cyclinder. The pedal is pressed making the tube turn and pushing the rod in to brake servo, how do I get around this, what do I do with the vac line out the brake servo too

Thanks

Guest 2b cruising

My 2b DOHV has standard sierra m/c servo on drivers side. Nothing gets in the way, and it saves the crossover system. No problems braking but they are a little to powerful. Fine in dry, watch out in wet. I usually have very thin soled footware. A/ better control. B/ easy to move foot under clutch to rest.

Guest 2b cruising

There are many different types of remote servo's. They don't have a mechanical connection to the m/cyl, just attached hydraulically through the brake pipes. That means you can put them anywhere you want to on the car.

I have a spare 4:1 unit. If you wan't one, pm me and we can discus price and postage. The servo unit has just been completely overhauled and new seals in hydraulic cylinder so in good condition. Around £60 + postage would cover it to recoup my own costs. HTH. Ken

When I binned my servo I bought one of these

http://www.tigerraci...sh rod&x=6&y=21

You want the long one.

Remove master cylinder from servo.

Remove servo from bulkhead and refit master cylinder with the Tiger push rod. Job done.

Some say replace the cylinder with a Ford KA or Fiat 132.

I have run our car for 10 + years with Sierra cylinder without issue, try it 1st and see what you think.

It will feel very different to what you are used to but when you get used to it I am sure you will be happy with out the servo.

Ian, you make it sound simple ;)

Take into consideration, I haven't even looked at this yet (on the things to do, after wife's permission list).

I gather I just purchase the long rod above.

Drain brake fluid (as it's old, crap and boiled last year).

Disconnect the copper brake lines.

Remove m/c and servo from bulk head.

Connect rod to pedal and thru bulkhead into sierra m/c bypassing the old servo.

Bolt it all together on bulkhead.

Re-attached/cut and re-flare new copper pipes in new position.

Fill with new brake fluid (any recommendations)?

Bleed brakes and get wife to test drive. :crazy:

• Like 1