Gearbox Conversion

Guest joehale

Guest joehale

Hi guys,

Dropped the engine and gearbox out today and am hoping to convert my 4 speed box to 5 speed.

I see the chasis i have is designed to take both, however if i get the 5 speed i will need s shorter propshaft.... where do i get one?

I also have the problem of 20 tooth spline into clutch and also 20 tooth on the propshaft end.

Does anyone know if thats standard 4 speed? and if so what would the 5 speed be?

Where could i get a new propshaft with the correct number of splines ??

Cheers.

Your 4 speed is a type E, 20 splines 7/8"

Type 9 is 23 spline 1"

Props try Dunnings and Fairbanks or Recoprop, usually adverts in the Kit car mags.

Edited by Snapperpaul

Is it a 1.6 or 2.0? If its standard 1.6 and definitely 20 spline you might have to fit a 2.0 flywheel and clutch for the 5 speed type 9 box. If its a 2.0 mated to a 20 spline it will either have an older 1.6 flywheel & clutch or a special clutch plate that was available but scarce for the 2.0 engine but 20 spline 7/8".

The 2ltr clutch is bigger diameter, and was also fitted to later 1.6's and 5 speed type 9's.

I used the unusual clutch plate (sourced it from Big Jim) on my old S7 when upgrading to 2.0 but keeping 4 speed box and had to find my way through all that but got there in the end. Props are easy to get and advice above is good.

I always liked the 4 speed box, nice ratios and gearchange but I guess if you do some longer runs its worth upgrading while everything is out.

Good luck.

Sound like you may have a type 3 4 speed box 7/8” x 20 spline input shaft

type 3

Most later Cortina/Sierra has a type E box with a 1" x 23 spline input shaft.

type E

The type 9 also has a 1" x 23 spline input shaft

type 9

This may also be of some help to you as well

Picture_05841-1.jpg

Guest joehale

Thanks for the info guys.

The car it came from was an 'A' plate. With the 2.0L pinto fitted. I have counted the splines on my box to be 20 clutch and 20 prop. Not taken the shaft diameter yet tho.

All this gearbox stuff is a minefield!!! Never realised it was this hard. Oh well the one i have is dead and it HAS to be replaced.

Looking at one on Ebay at the mo, so fingers crossed he answers my questions and its the right one!!

Cheers

Guest joehale

OK This is a joke.

No where i look is there a 20 spline box to be found. So im fed up of waiting.

Where will i get a 23 spline clutch to fit my 2.0l Pinto? And thanks in advance for the advice on Props!

Joe

Guest joehale

I have one i could get rebuilt but no way am i paying £400 to get it done. I might as well buy a clutch kit with 23 spline for £65 and a old type 9 for a few quid with prop.

I like the idea of a 5 speed but thought sticking with a 4 speed would have been easier.

So.... Anyone with a type 9 5 speed box, let me know!!!