Wiring Advice

jmspec

I have ripped out the loom supplied by RH and making my own.

So far all is going well.

My question is " How much current does it take to operate the starter solenoid and what size cable do I run from the relay?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jez

I have ripped out the loom supplied by RH and making my own.

So far all is going well.

My question is " How much current does it take to operate the starter solenoid and what size cable do I run from the relay?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jez

The RH loom had all the wires why not use most ?

Why are you putting in another relay ?

The idea of the starter solenoid is that you don't need another relay ..

The Wiring from the ignition start position simply energies the starter solenoid...

As reards rating are you using thin wall or standard automotive cables.

Thin way 2.0 mm cable is rated at 20 Amps which is ample for the solenoid

Standard cable you would need 3.0 mm to get > 20 Amps

:D :D

Thanks for that.

I am not using the key switch, but putting in a switch and push button thingy.

I am using thin wall cable.

I have got 0.5mm, 1mm and 4mm.

The 0.5 is the cable which I am using for my sensers and switching of the relays etc. The 1mm is for my lights and the 4mm was for the starting and charging circuit.

As for the RH loom, I think I had one which was made on a Friday afternoon.

Thanks for the advice.

Jez.

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Jez

Is your car through SVA and just suffering tinkeritus ??

If not be careful what key switch you use and where you position it.

You also need a "anti-theft" isolator of sorts fitted for SVA, this is taken care of by the ignition swirch and steering lock.

Hi Ian,

No the car is not through the SVA.

The start switch I am going to use is one of those small chrome panels with a switch, light and a push button.

I was thinking of mounting it on the tunnel top, just in front of the gear lever.

As for the anti theft, not 100% sure, but probably a battery isolator.

Hi Ian,

No the car is not through the SVA.

The start switch I am going to use is one of those small chrome panels with a switch, light and a push button.

I was thinking of mounting it on the tunnel top, just in front of the gear lever.

As for the anti theft, not 100% sure, but probably a battery isolator.

The SVA requires that the anti-theft device has a mechanical component... i.e a steering lock is OK but a battery isolator is not..

I was wondering about that.

Thought about taking a lock that fits through the steering wheel.

Is that ok or does it have to be a steering column lock?

Jez

The manual quotes a steering column lock as the anti theft device.

There are mentions of a alternative options but they are not listed in the manual its info only available to the tester

I have a mate who tried to use a removable steering wheel boss at B'ham on a cobra and that failed even though its not possible to drive with the steering wheel removed. The testers answer was that a mole wrench could be used to steer the car.

Hi,

Just lifted this from the SVA manual, may help.

'The anti-theft device may be mechanical, electronic or a combination of both'

Their rules, not mine! at this late stage in my build my custom ignition system WILL pass or Mr SVA tester may find two bumps raised on the back of his neck!

Tony

Hi,

Just lifted this from the SVA manual, may help.

'The anti-theft device may be mechanical, electronic or a combination of both'

Their rules, not mine! at this late stage in my build my custom ignition system WILL pass or Mr SVA tester may find two bumps raised on the back of his neck!

Tony

The key phrase is "or a combination"..

What mechanical device other than a steering lock will pass !!!

If you search these threads you will find a lots of references to using starter systems i.e button panels etc.

However most are fitted post SVA.

If you look at the IVA its even more confussing..

My advice get on and get a pass with a steering lock and then make any changes..

I think the key phrase is 'mechanical' OR electronic, with the emphasis on OR, If anyone can start my car without help, they can have it with my blessing!

There are too many grey area's in the SVA reg's

Tony

Anti-theft device, may be mechanical or electronic, or a combination of both, who needs a Ford steering lock? read in reverse, drof, driver returned on foot! or even forwards Found On Rubbish Dump! lets face it, fords are *bleep*e! not even proper dog *bleep*! I piss on the few Ford items I have had to use to build my kit!!!!!!!!!!!

If this post gets me banned, tuff titty, I hate Ford with a passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Guest Ian & Carole
Anti-theft device, may be mechanical or electronic, or a combination of both, who needs a Ford steering lock? read in reverse, drof, driver returned on foot! or even forwards Found On Rubbish Dump! lets face it, fords are *bleep*e! not even proper dog *bleep*! I piss on the few Ford items I have had to use to build my kit!!!!!!!!!!!

If this post gets me banned, tuff titty, I hate Ford with a passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Calm down now :o

Sound like the fear of SVA is more of a problem to you than your dislike of Ford.

Mind how you post your thoughts and feelings or you might just get deleted :o

The main reason I have decided to change it now and not post SVA is so I dont end up with a ugly hole in the cowl for the key.

I was hoping to just use a mechanical lock like a Steering wheel cover lock.

Thanks for the advice

Jez

From SVA

1. Check, in addition to the normal ignition switch the vehicle is permanently fitted with an anti-theft device which can be activated to prevent the vehicle being driven or moved under its own power.

The device may be mechanical, electrical, electronic or a combination of these.

2. Check each anti-theft device

a. is operational

b. does not operate on a part of the braking system

c. which incorporates a mechanical part that acts upon a system used to control the vehicle (eg steering system)

-------i. cannot be activated while the engine is running

-------ii. does not allow the engine to be started before the device has been deactivated

-------iii. has an actuation which is a distinct and separate from that of stopping the engine

Note: A steering lock that is permanently inoperative shall not be considered to be an anti-theft device. e.g. in the case of a disabled persons vehicle where the key cannot be removed from the lock.

Them's the rules. They seem to be framed to allow considerable leeway in what you fit, allowing for a steering lock as part of the column ignition switch, a fuel cut-off (valve or pump isolater) or electronic immobiliser or what have you. There's no need to reinvent the wheel. A sierra steering column lock is a pass and it's already fitted. Take it off after SVA if you wish and fit the pneumatically powered sword blade shooting up through the seat squab as a more effective way of disabling thieving scrotes if you must but don't fight the SVA. It's not winnable and it's bad for your health.

Nigel