Seen Engine For Sale

Guest AWhite

Seen the following engine for sale:

1600 Capri Pinto engine complet with ported and polished head, kent FR32 fast road/race Cam and Adjustable Pully.

Engine has only dun 13000 miles and head has only been on the engine for 3000. perfict for rebuild. (needs new rings)

What BHP am I looking at here? Currently got a seriously worn 2.0 pinto

Cheers guys?

If you put twin 40's or a DGAS on it and rebuild it, you would get close to 95 BHP, bearing in mind it's an old engine, possibly not got unleaded seats. Wonder why it needs a rebuild after 13000 miles? Doesn't sound like a bargain. Selling due to dissapointment?

Stick with your 2L and rebuild it, clean up the head and flow the ports a little, match manifolds to the ports, up the compression and think about a new cam for it.

About £200 and 115BHP.

Nigel

It certainly shouldn't need a rebuild at 13,000 miles, and how does the owner know it only needs new rings?

If he stripped it to measure, then why didn't he change them at the time :rolleyes: instead of rebuilding with duff rings and wasting money on the gaskets.... <_<

I smell a dirty rat :angry:

Run...

Dave

Ok scrap that idea then. Sounds a bit dodgy. What about the following from Tiger Racing

Ford Pinto OHC Full Engine (Stage 2 - unleaded)

This is a fully reconditioned 2000cc (+oversize) engine with Stage 2 tuning and consists of the following:- rebore for new pistons, reground crankshaft, new main bearings, new bigend bearings, new thrust bearings, new oil pump, reconditioned head, stage one porting, new valves (std.), new (FR32) Kent cam & followers, new cam belt, new belt tensioner, lightened flywheel, uprated bigend bolts, new clutch assembly. £795.00 +VAT

I have got a set of twin 40s without manifold and a couple of gaskets. What kind of BHP am I looking at?

Thanks again.

at best 110 - 115 BHP and thats if its set up properly with your 40's.

There are plenty of Pinto's out there that claim massive power and torque values but very few that will give what they claim.

A good bet is to go for a late model 2.0 injection motor as these have better flowing heads. fit your carbs and a good cam get it set up and 115bhp is yours.

Go ludicrous and bore out to 2.1 fit 2.8 v6 pistons (throw the spare two away) fit the same carbs and cam and see 120 - 125 bhp.

spend loads a money and get 150 - 175 bhp

Go to the bank get a mortgage and get 200bhp

Go much further and the engine is undrivable on the road your fuel bill needs a separate mortgage and youll need to look after it every month.

the best advice i can give is go with what you know.

The Tiger engine is pretty much what I have except I didn't touch the 120,000 mile block. Had the head skimmed and 3 angle valve seats put in. Did the porting as described in Dave Andrews site, piper 285 cam and twin 40 DHLA's on a 1inch manifold. This gives 120 at the wheels and will rev to 7000. It drives happily at 30mph in fifth gear and ticks over at 800 smoothly. Local machine shop did the skim and seats for 110, cam was about 200 with vernier, manifold 60, carbs 45 quid(bargain). Plus another 60 or so for bits and bobs.

I plan to drive it till it blows up(unlikely) or the crankcase pressure gets too high(quite likely) and then get a local rebore to 2.1L and refurbish the bottom end.

Oh,and Jim, I got 24 mpg to Donnington and back at a steady 75 cos I boiled every time I went over 80! ( Checked the alternator bolts lately?)

Nigel

Guest Charles B

Nigel,what distributor are you using? I have recently fitted twin 40 dellortos to my 1600 pinto. I cannot use the vacuum advance. The engine runs well, but the timing advance isn't right and I'm sure I could be doing a lot better.

Regards

Charles

The simplest distributor to use is the Bosch inductive ignition with its coil and six wire box of tricks. The distributor does have a vacuum mechanism on it but you remove it. You can mod the mechanical advance to give a better curve.

Having said that I only had an old transit points distributor which I stuck a magnetronic head in and it works fine. The vacuum advance was moved to the distributor on my VW camper to replace a duff unit. Works a treat.

Nigel

Guest Charles B

Thanks Nigel. I am using the Bosch inductive dizzi. I will have a play with the advance curve sometime. I could really do with a rolling road to set the carbs up properly sometime. Does any one know a good one up in Northumberland?

Guest trevor hooley

This is a fully reconditioned 2000cc (+oversize) engine with Stage 3 tuning and consists of the following:- rebore for new cossie pistons, reground crankshaft, new main bearings, new bigend bearings, new thrust bearings, new cossie oil pump, reconditioned head, stage three porting, new large stainless valves, new (rl31) Kent cam & followers, new cam belt, new belt tensioner, lightened flywheel, Cosworth bigend bolts, new clutch assembly.

This little lot is chucking 168bhp at fly, on twin 40’s (machined out slightly) and will rev over 8000rpm

Total price £950 from euro engines + £80 for vernier and some misc bits like water pump etc..

karl

ps if you look on the NW website it tells you how to modify your dizze

Guest trevor hooley

as mitch says bloody quick. never had a straight go really, but itll terminate a standing quater at over 100mph without hitting the rev limiter in any gear..... and itll leave a wrx scooby to 60 on a dry road...

definatly recommended fun.

karl

ps mitch Ive got the 206 back now and that will scare you...... but as you say with the EBCs' on at least it now stops as quick as it goes