Zetec Crankcase Breather

Guest ollie chapman

Guest ollie chapman

Hi, any advice please? Have finally got the Zetec blacktop 2litre in and running. Having hopefully sorted major oil leaks from sump gasket there's still a drip at the rear. Read somewhere that poor crankcase breathing could cause it. True or false? I discarded the big ugly breather under the exhaust manifold and blanked it off, using a small breather filter on the camshaft cover near inlet manifold. Is this sufficient? Many thanks.

Ollie. Have you changed the sump? I am going to change the sump on mine (tomorrow as it happens) to a Raceline sump and when I spoke to Simon at GBS he advised the application of silicon between the sump gasket and the outer edge of the sump. This way when the sump is tightend, the silicon oozes outwards and not in to the sump.

Guest ollie chapman

Hi, yes, the sump is changed. Left the joint to cure for a full 24 hours before oiling up. Don't think there will be any issue with excess silicon - prayer - as although I put plenty on it was a fairly thin bead anyway. Sadly, there is still a weep but I think that's as per Knights Templar's observation as Haynes didn't tell me about sealing between the rear oil seal housing and gasket to block but hey, having had British motorbikes in my time a bit of oil is par for the course...and I've only just got the engine in and running. Took her out today, goes like s--t off a stick! Really responsive, AB Garage near Hawarden, Chester, tuned and fettled and now showing a healthy 160bhp output. Great guys these, balanced carbs, remap ecu, remove carbs, removed idle jets, cleared idle system, re/set idle mixtures at a VERY reasonable price! email abgarage@tiscali.co.uk couldn't fail to recommend them!

Good luck with the sump change!