Strange Noise From Pinto

paul_r

Hi all

I'm running a 2l pinto with twin 40s and had issues with an optronic luminition when packed up (miss fired and stopped completely when engine up to temp). I've now replaced with an Accuspark which seems to be running well except for a strange noise. The noise starts when lightly putting foot on acc. Pedal and sounds like high pitched buzzing. When accelerating the noise stops but when up to speed noise starts when speed is constant.

Anyone have any ideas as it not tappets, here's hoping

Paul

I've been battling with my engine recently. So i'm kind of doing what you'll need to do. I started with the tappets so i know it's not that. As above take the belt off for a bit (not too long though or you will run out of power). I checked the inlet and exhaust gaskets as you can get various noises if you have a leak, certain speeds will resonate. I've bought new gaskets for ~£7 off ebay for both. Not a big cost to rule that out.

of course it could be something on the carb or pedal that is vibrating. When you put your foot on the pedal you could be allowing something to vibrate then as you accelerate it tightens then you lift off and it can vibrate again. Does it do it when stationary? could put a bit of tape over the springs to dampen and test (make sure the springs still work as you don't want a stuck throttle).

Unless this only happens when the car is moving

Get some one to lightly press the power pedal whilst you put a bit of hose pipe in one ear and have a poke about with the other end.

Obviously watch out for moving parts. But it should get you near to where the noise is coming from.

Andi

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

If you have a pancake type air cleaner, make sure it is not blocked. Once again try running without just for a trial run.

A noise like that it's a matter of illimination.

If filter blocked, it can make your butterfly's flap. This would create the noise you mention. It can be caused by week linkage return springs, or worn linkage.