Post Iva Thoughts & Issues

megadodo

I've been lucky with the DVLA & VOSA unless only the bad stuff gets dumped on the forum. Just over 3 weeks from posting the IVA form until the car was on the road! Don't worry about the IVA, just read the manual well and build carefully and you'll be fine although the best part of a grand worse off!

After the registration number & tax disc arrived on Saturday a quick trip to Halfords procured some new number plates. So far I've been to the garage to fuel up, picked my daughter up from the local stables and been to Newark for some of the day yesterday!

General feeling so far, awesome, great fun but I'm still nervous about "hurrying along"! :yahoo: :clapping:

Problems so far:

I have had to tighten up the rear springs as my rear subframe has lost some paint! Better now, but I still need a little more stiffness. C spanner out again.

Speedometer starts to behave oddly at 69 mph or above and in the last 5 miles yesterday it stopped reading altogether! Reposition the sensor I guess.

Under firm braking there is a slight judder. New rear discs, fronts skimmed so I'm not sure what that is?

Right rear brake caliper weeping around the handbrake lever seal (not changed when the caliper was overhauled (hindsight is wonderful!))

One coolant blanking pipe jubilee clip needed to be slightly tightened as the joint was slightly damp.

Steering wheel slightly off centre!

Front N/S wing was loose when I got home, bolts tightened and loctited!

And my arse is too big for the seat, hopefully the seat will sag and conform to my rear!

Roll on the next trip out once these issues are sorted.

Hi,

Firstly, congrats on getting on the road!

Re brake juddering: have you checked all four discs for any runnout?

Do you have access to a dial guage?

I had issues on this but once resolved, the brakes are fine.

Gives me a good excuse to get one! I've spun the disc against a fixed point that I set up by each hub but I don't know if that's enough to pick up any run out. I've cleaned the hub and disc mating surfaces, the rear discs are new (it did it with the old discs as well) and the front discs have been skimmed so I think a dial gauge is a must! I'm convinced, when can I get to machine mart?

Got mine off Fleebay. Wasn't too expensive.

Unless anyone local can lend you one instead?

The tolearances are in the Haynes manual I think.

If you've ensured that all mating faces were clean though, this might not be your problem?

Mine weren't as the hubs had been powder-coated.

I've just replaced my front discs, cost about £25 delivered off the 'bay. Had juddering and couldn't detect run out but new fronts have sorted the problem.

Well done for getting on the road and enjoy.

Rear caliper now rebuilt (once I have got some more silicone brake fluid I'll bleed the system (again!) and see if the leak has gone). The speed sensor bracket appears to have been bent about an inch away from its original position??? Even if the prop shaft had moved enough to catch the sensor head I wouldn't have expected it to move that much? I'll make a new bracket to move the sensor to a position that will hopefully means that the speedo works above 70 mph!

Guest old_timbo

Why would you need a speedo that reads over 70? :rolleyes:

Now you are on the road it's time for some serious chassis tuning. Got to show these Zero boys a thing or two.

Tim

Despite bending the bracket back I stll have no speedo, needs a bit work methinks, I hope the head isn't damaged!!! Having bled the brakes through today (no caliper leak so far) I took her out for a blast and she needs yet more rear spring stifness!!! Timbo, I think I need your help!!??

Guest old_timbo

Might have to look at your ride height. Which bit is catching the ground? There are various solutions that have been used to bolt the rear subframe in at the front, but if you use the RH suggestion with the Mexican hat washers, the head of the bolt through them is really low and first thing that gets changed. Presume you are using adjustable coil-overs at the rear? If so you can adjust the springs seats to give a bit more ground clearance and you can try stiffening up the damping. Go up a couple of clicks at a time until it gets painful. That will be your track setting. Five clicks back from that will be OK for the road. If you fancy a run down to Duxford, you could make some comparisons with mine................that dosen't quite read right :shok:

Today was a blast. I tweaked the springs a bit more and increased the damping and its better, but with 2 up this morning she was still "smacking her arse" on the road on rough bits still. I tweaked the speedo sensor as well, it now works and above 70 too! Early afternoon I went to see Feek's build and was treated to tea & biccies and a chin wag, many thanks Feek! On the way home I gave her some stick in straight lines and corners and I can't shift the grin from my face, brilliant!!! :D :D :clapping: You learn some new everyday though, always wear sun screen in an open car, boy, are my arms burnt! :rofl:

My pleasure Malcolm - was great to meet you and get a burst of positive enthusiasm. :D

The car looks fabulous by the way, and glad you had a good drive back... ;)

Oh yeah, and sunburn: +1 for me!