Zetec Oil Temperature Gauge

Guest alfaGTA

Guest alfaGTA

Who has fitted a oil temperature sensor to their zetec? where did you fit the sensor and which one did you use? and did you opt for a digital readout or a needle style gauge?

I'm looking for added protection/early warning for hard track work and knowing the zetec likes hot oil (~100oC) but don't want it too hot...........

Guest alfaGTA

yes sump plug mod is a good option either off the shelf or drilled and tapped by a mate :) i'll have a look at that bung you mention femi when i get a chance, don't suppose you know if it'd interfere/block an oil gallery with a sensor poked in there?

Guest mcramsay

i thought the zetec head already had an oil temperature sensor fitted for the stock ecu? it is on the inlet side just under one of the manifold ports. the jenvey throttle body manifold even has a cut out to go around the sensor. i would just bung one in there, its most likely an 1/8th NPT thread as well.

Guest alfaGTA

Cheers lads i'll have a nose round the engine at the weekend, just unloaded it and plonked it in the man cave. It came with loom and ford ecu so i'll follow that and see where it leads. It'd be ideal if i could use the stock sensor with a digital gauge on the dash as i don't have space for another round clock style gauge....... any recommendations for a sender and digital gauge combo?

Guest mcramsay

I doubt you would be able to use the stock sensor, unless you have an oil temp gauge that you can calibrate, then you need to work out the resistance values at each temperature for the sensor, generally you buy a matched pair the sensor should be a brass one and it is at the crank end of the engine just above where the head meets the block should be around 3" long

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kent zero

Hi Simon,where did you get gauge and sendor from? where they SMITHS Flight gauges?

What oil pressure does yours run on hard throttle and whats your cooling system operating

temp?

My oil pressure seems quite high at around 6.5 bar cold.

John.

My gauges are indeed smiths flight gauges and they report that the oil pressure is around 6.5 bar when just above idle.

At idle, the pressure is lower but I can't remember exactly and as me and the car are about 2000 miles apart, I cannot just pop round and check at the minute :)

Simon.