Damn Oil Light

Guest Sean Timney

Guest Sean Timney

Hi guys,

Slight problem :p ....i've had my engine started and I posted a topic here a few weeks ago about my oil light coming on during tick-over when the engine gets fully heated through (but did go away when the throttle was tapped)......i've since removed my loom and done some other work (not on the engine). Put the loom back in again last week and started her up on Friday night gone.....bloody oil light now stays on permanently.....done the usual checks thinking it might be electrical (as thats the only bit I had changed/moved)...not that...took the rocker cover off today and yes....started the engine and no oil coming through the spray bar......bugger......any clues to what it might be......bar the pump being goosed...one thing i did'nt do was prime the pump after i did a minor overhaul on the engine (although i did'nt remove the pump), but did have the engine upside down on the stand......the spray bar was clear and i removed it, but no oil coming through to the spray bar feed.

HELP.....

Thx

Sean.

have you got access to an airline/footpump if so connect to the oil way on the midddle camshaft bearing, the hole that the spraybar picks up,and try and push the *bleep*e back through........then perhaps use a flushing oil to dissolve it :

This is a messy way to find out, so best plan where you're going to do it. Take the HT lead out of the coil so that the engine won't start, remove the oil pressure switch from the block, and get someone to crank over the engine, oil should spurt out under force where the switch goes in, if it doesn't, then you've either broken the square drive shaft to the oil pump (under the dizzy) or the oil pump is knackered, blocked or whatever, but it's a sump off job.

Sean, You said it started with oil light coming on when at hot tickover and has progressed to on all the time. I think you're oil light is doing its job fine and may even get a bit huffy if you continue to ignore it and don't trust it. You could double check with a known good sensor or gauge and you can check the circuit by removing the wire from the sensor and the light should be off. Ground it and the light comes on.

I think you should drop the sump and inspect oil pump, mains and big ends.

Nigel

Ah! Still building. Check the pressure relief valve isn't sticking open.

Edited by Longboarder

Guest timswait

I don't think you need to prime the oil pump, so that's not the problem. When I changed the sump I changed the oil pick up pipe so it had to suck the oil up the empty pipe, no problems the light went off in a few seconds.

Guest Sean Timney

Thx for the info guys....been messing on again tonight with no joy....pulled the dizzy out to se if the pump shaft was knackered.....looks ok..but then again, i aint got a clue really!!!! :D

will try Jim's suggestion of removing the pressure sender......if all else fails, sump off and pump out for inspection....damn..

thanks again for the advice

Sean.