4 In To 1 Manifold

Guest macca

Hi All

I've been up to RHS today and picked up a new exhaust system.

How does the 4 in to 1 go together? any pics please. The instructions in the kit were all ripped and screwed up, and aren't all that helpful.

I'll be having a go at it tomorrow (Sunday) ;)

Cheers Macca

Guest chris brown

As you are fitting it to a Pinto what made you go for the one in component parts rather than the completed item? I think you have given yourself a lot of extra work but at least you will get plenty of practice at welding stainless. :p :p B)

Chris

The manifold is mild steel, only the silencer part is stainless.

We have spent about 6 hours on it today ;)

The kit has 4 plates to bolt to the head.

4 bent tubes.

A crescent shape piece of steel to be bent up as the collector.

And a 10 inch piece of tube as the output to the silencer part.

The RH instructions go something like:

Fix the plates to the head.

Use a large hammer to make the head end of the tubes oval (to fit in the plates).

Stick the tubes in the plates and group the output end together and hold with tape.

Tack to the plates.

Remove the manifold and weld up the plates/tube joints.

Put these back on.

make up the collector/output tube.

The make it sound so easy! The best bit was when the welding wire ran out as we started tacking!! :blink: :wacko: The stuff we picked up from B and Q (£13) is crap.

Most of todays work is going to be re-welded when we get better wire. (on order from the man that can £0)

Macca

Also why buy in mild steel, apart from for easier welding.

When I have seen people make manifolds they have tacked the tubes together at the collector end after tacking them at the head end.

The 4 into 1 manifold is of reasonable quality but it's not in the lolocost parts list.

The Stainless silencer is good for a couple of thousand miles only before you need to cut it open and repack it.

That's here. priced at £65 +£15 p&p

Personally, if you can get hold of the s/s 4-1 manifold, then get one, but leave the silencer alone, spend some more and get a decent one.

they must have changed mine came with kit already welded up just needed to fit gasket and off you go. From the pics you seem to have a lot of welding to do.

Worth asking if they still do made up version i know i would not like to takle myself.

phil

I looked at the lolocost web site and just ordered off there. It was a right pain in the ass, but its coming together (slowly)

Also, I bought the stainless silencer too :angry: Ah well it'll get me on the road, for this summer. Ill see how it goes and get a better 1 next time. ;)

Guest chris brown
The Stainless silencer is good for a couple of thousand miles
Don’t exaggerate Jim. Well perhaps providing you are running the engine in for the first thousand. Mine only lasted a further 5K even after repacking. :gdit: :gdit: useless bloody thing. I must admit I did use it a long time after it went very illegal (like 107db at 4000rpm) awful on long trips