Emission Test

Guest Andybarbet

Guest Andybarbet

:blink: Does anyone know when the MOT emission test was made more strict ? (sorry about the grammar)

I would like to know for my choice of donor car, i seem to remember it changing in the late 80's ?

Guest MikeD318

I think from about '91 - '92 onwards you were required to have a cat' (not sure on exact year) but my doner was an '87 E and that still runs on 4* (LRP) if you can get a pre cat' car and run it on unleaded (providing it is suitable) I don't think you'll have too much to worry about on MOT emmisions

Guest Andy Sparrow

I m sure we had a thread on this a while back - wasnt the conclusion that Kit Cars are subject to a visual check only......

I know my MoT tester just shrugged and said its fine

.................confusion is easy chaos takes longer

A

Guest mark kingston

i believe that the limit allowed with pre 86 donors is higher than those of post 86 cars and that if the engine is thought to be of a lot later date (around 92) then it may have to have a cat :rolleyes:

Guest JohnS

Yeah

A kit car is tested as per a pre 1973 car

So visual smoke test only.

BUT

The emisions are tested at the SVA and that test is done to the age of the engine.

JohnS

Guest Andy Sparrow

so the answer for SVA is choose an older donor engine - or at least declare the engine as such ?

What happens if you stick an old engine in just for sva then upgrade to a newer unit later - presumably it never gets emission tested ?

:)

It is perfectly legitimate to assemble to a more 'friendly' spec to make a pass more easily obtainable. The car can only be tested at SVA in the configuration you present it. If you go on at some later date to fit a Zetec engine in place of the 1600 pinto your MOT garage may check its date of manufacture and apply different emissions criteria.

Nigel

Guest mickmellors

Comments regarding a Cat made me think back to a magazine article some years ago.

I cant remember the exact detail and can't find the mag but the general jist was that some chap had gone to a race meeting in a sportscar (XK8 Jag if memory serves me well) fitted with a Cat and parked as directed by the parking marshals on the end of a row of cars in the middle of a field of long dry grass. The heat from the Cat caught the grass below on fire and his car went up like a good un just seconds after walking away from it !

Assuming that the SuperSpec Robin Hood which is built from all new components is registered as a new car (eg 53 or 04 reg plates) it will presumably be fitted with a Cat to meet New car regulations. I would guess that the Cat on a Robin Hood would be as low as on the Jag, if not lower.

Could this be the problem of the future ?

Mental note - take extra sausages to show weekends !