Squeaky Pinto

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

I may just be being paranoid here, but my engine seems to have a bit of a squeak. I've only run it twice in the hood for about 10 seconds each (due to not having the cooling system fitted), and the squeak sounds a bit like a slipping fanbelt, except that I haven't got the fanbelt fitted. Anyone got any ideas what's causing it? The engine is an EFi 2 litre pinto, on the RHE stainless exhaust.

Could be a few things, but probably either your cam belt, too tight, (you should be able to twist it, on it's longest run, through 90º with your finger & thumb) or it could be your water pump. Get the cooling system filled up and see if it still squeaks then. after that it could be almost anything.

Almost any of the bearings could squeak, but it's most likely something you've disturbed since it ran in the donor. eg re-tensioning the cam belt (as Jim says) or the fan belt will possibly put more tension on the water pump bearing, the cam belt tensioner bearing, or the alternator bearings.

Try slackening the fan belt slightly, and if that doesn't work, check the cam belt as Jim says.

Ant

Guest Angel Boy

I would go for the water pump as believe they are water lubricated. Do as Jim says and fill up with coolant and see what happens.

Andy

ps just read your post again and you haven't got the fanbelt fitted means that it can't be the pump :rolleyes: in which case I have no idea :( sorry

Edited by Andy Stather

Guest DaveB

Glad Andy brought up the fact that the water pump has to go round to sweak.

May be air leak around the head or manifold try the soapy water test .

Dave B :D

Guest timswait

Haven't done very much at all to the engine, just changed timing belt, plugs, oil, filter, sump, sump pick up, fan belt, and adjusted the tappets, haven't changed any oil seals. It's possible it squeaked in the Sierra, it had a very knackered fan belt which was squealing enough to drown out the much quieter squeak I've got now. The noise itself doesn't bother me, it's not that loud at all, much quieter than a slipping fan belt, it's just the worry it might be a sign of something nasty.........