Immobiliser

Guest paul091085

Guest paul091085

Finally getting closer to having my hood on the road for the first time since ive owned it, and was wondering what type of security people have, if any. I thought about an immobiliser and can get a cat 2 fitted for £50. is it worth it? If not, what other precautions are there that can reduce the chances of unwanted people making off with my hood?

Paul

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple switch in the low tension side of the coil ( i used an old ignition switch hidden), or, rally style removable battery switch, or the removable steering wheel, looks a bit strange walking down the high street.

Guest salty_monk

An immobiliser could cause problems & it'll make it much more difficult to fix any electrical gremlins you get.

I have a "python" style cable lock that's about 30' long. If I'm worried about leaving it somewhere I just thread that through all the wheels, chassis & spare.

http://www.masterlock.com/promos/python/84...thon_lock.shtml

Has worked so far...

Dan :)

Guest chris brown

Dan

Do you fasten it to a lamp post as well? I have this image of a hood propped up at about 45 degrees against a lamp post with yards and yards of blue plastic coated wire rope linked through all available orifices. :p :p :p

I have never fitted any type of security device and in fact mine spends most of its time with the keys in the ignition as I think the toe rags who are likely to try to steel it will only have driven a corsa with the radio on full and as soon as they sit in the drivers seat and look along the length of the bonnet they will sh1t themselves and at the worst you may have to wash the seat. :rolleyes: :wacko:

Guest yosamite sam

you could put a hidden fuel switch in - they are around a tenner from burtons i think or nf auto - best way is just dont leave it anywhere unsafe

mine has a cobra immobiliser fitted by the previous owner. Can't say i have any complaints with it. It currently switches the power to the ecu in series with the ignition switch, but previosuly (with carb fitted) it switched the electronic ignition power.

I'm glad it's there, it gives some peice of mind, and is simple to use.

Guest salty_monk
Dan

Do you fasten it to a lamp post as well?  I have this image of a hood propped up at about 45 degrees against a lamp post with yards and yards of blue plastic coated wire rope linked through all available orifices. :p  :p  :p

So that's what Dave was doing at Barkston! :lol: There was me thinking he'd got it horribly wrong on the corner!! :lol: :lol:

No Lamposts but when I went to Llandow with Drew & it was outside in the hotel car park we used it to lock my car to his car to the trailer & then to the Freelander towing it...

The lock only really got used on the drive. I'm not that anal!! :D

(p.s. Chris, did you get the PM I sent??)

Guest alan rowe

I've got a hidden removable switch and a removable steering wheel - either I reckon will deter the basic thief - the ones that want it will get it I'm sure no matter what is fitted

A

Guest docter fox

I would like to feel a lil safer when leaving it, but at the end of the day, if they have a trailer you cant really stop them easily ;) unless you chain it to everything in a 20 ft radius like dan :lol:

Guest alan rowe

I've just thought - if you have a removable steering wheel to act as an immobiliser, you have to remove it every time you park as it might get stolen (unless you chain it to the car)

A

Guest paul091085

The removable steering wheel boss ive got needs a key to get it off. But looking at it last night, it looks like the key for mine is the same as the one on my brothers. so not that secure afterall. :lol: