Vin Plate And Logbook

Guest nightracer35

Guest nightracer35

i bought a 2.0 ltr dohc sierra but cannot get the engine to run in my 3a, can any 1 tell me if i put another engine other than 2.0 ltr dohc will i have to buy another vin plate and log book as i dont want it 2b a q plate??

many thanks ron

as the guys say what you have to do is notify DVLA that you have changed engine on your donor even if its SORN. You will have to give them the new engine number and issue a new log book (there may be a charge for this). Do this well in advance of SVA / build up inspection as the examiner will want to check identity age of engine for emmission purposes etc.

You should then be ok for age related plate.

Phil

• 1 month later...
Guest tom2b

I changed the engine number on my sorn donor log book, it doesnt cost me anything or affect my built up inspection report still got my age related plate. Rang the SVA centre asking what proof of engine age they need, i gave them the number and they checked it in there book which is all they need to do (however that is at EXETER your centre may be different)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Quantox

Hi Guys,

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a related issue with a part built 2B (March 2003 collection date) that I finally collected last Thursday. My issue is that the DPO failed to retain the donor VIN plate and the V5©, along with a number of other important components. I'd like your collective view on my proposed way forward please.

To overcome this problem I propose to acquire another (similar) donor, do a paper transfer of the fitted engine number on the new donor V5 and use the new identity going forward. At the same time I should be able to acquire the missing donor parts.

Any drawbacks to this course of action? Any comments/suggestions gratefully received. It's a 205 block JL (Sept '88) engine.

I must admit to being disappointed with the DPO's approach, although he's a good friend. Sadly he's just transferred the donor parts, engine g/box and rear diff/suspension etc. rust and roadmuck included, directly without even washing them off !! And because of poor storage facilities there's rust appearing everywhere, on the front wishbones and on all of the unpainted parts.

So, it looks like it's back to square one and start all over again, apart from fitting the floorpan.

Ho Hum !!!

Best Regards

Q

Guest hypermick

Q.

I dont see you have a choice other than the course of action youve suggested.

Any other way would make the paperwork complicated :blink: all for the sake of honestly saying youre using a load of unmarked donor parts which are already fitted and that you want to keep the engine.

If push came to shove and you jumbled all the new donors parts available from the intended vehicle, up with the existing fitted parts, :unsure: :wacko: :unsure: who is going to tell , what came from what ? The chances are that the new donor will have parts on it that are better than the old donors, :) and by the time youve got them all in a heap, you probably wont remember exactly what came from where :huh: by the time theyre all cleaned and refettled.

Youre going to take the car apart anyway to do the job properly, ;) so before you start, do your engine number swap in the normal way (just as if you weren't involved with the 2B) ;) and march on from there.

If its any consolation, my original donor was a later twin cam sierra, (G reg) Which donated its front suspension, rear discs, suspension tube, and arms, and diff, ( I abandoned the idea of using the twin cam half way through thanks to several reasons-best not mentioned here, but the primary one being a certain person who describes the adjustment on the steering colomn as a feature so that "fat people can drive the car", :lol: :lol: :lol: who assured me the twin cam option was ok at the time of purchase ! DOH !!! (it wasnt !) :huh:

The rest came off a fuel injected pinto, (E reg) which I then ditched the injection and head on, replacing it with one off a low mileage transit (unleaded and reworked here in the workshop). Ive now mixed loads of new bits into the equation too, ;) but Im using the (E Reg) paperwork to cover the build, since it seems for me the sensible option. :)

If I'd done an engine swap all I would have gained is a G plate instead of an E plate. (SVA permitting !)

good luck

Mick

:lol: :lol: :lol: (Bills comment) to the quote.