Another Police Debate

Guest Battery Bill

Guest Battery Bill

Now before we start lets not make this an anti Police thread because we have some good friends in the Police :D :D

Yesterday my mates 60 odd year old wife was on her way home after attending to her sick daughter, she was stationary in a traffic jam and decided to phone Hubby to let him know she would be delayed.

As soon as she put the phone down (Still stationary in traffic) she heard a siren, you've guessed it :wub: Right behind her was a police car :wub: :wub:

She recieved an on the spot fine of £30, Aparently she was very embarrassed too :lol: :lol: :lol:

In my opinion this was just a money grabbing exercise by this Policeperson, and is the £30 really worth the ill feeling that the old lady now feels towards Lincoln Police?

Remember lets not get into the "Anti Police thread", Just opinions on if this was worth it or not :D :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest micky bigthumbs

Hands free kits £15..... i nearly hit a car today the prat of a woman on the phone missed the bend .i hit the curb my ashtray empied into the cab like a volcano..my tools all over the back of my van sorry Bill ...Hands free or Ban not a fine

Mick :wub:

Guest Nishka

This seems a bit harsh to me.

I'm all for upholding the law and would not advocate anyone to do anything illegal.

However there has to be some sense of proportion, in any decision that is made.

If the vehicle was stationary during the full duration of the call I see no reason why the officer could not have merely issued a warning.

After all surely education is better than punishment?

Just my view

Nishka

Guest Dredd

The inevitable 'official' reply!

Bill, thanks for the pre emptive 'not anti police'warning, very helpful.

Not being at work at the moment, I can't access the legal database, but there might be an issue of using a mobile when the car is in motion. I will check unless enforcer knows the answer.

The other issue is that this can not be a money raising stunt by the police because it is only speeding and ANPR fines that can be hypothicated (used by the police for more speed enforcment etc.). Other fines go straight to the treasury not the police.

Lastly, the power to summons or issue a fixed penalty notice is discretionery and we hope to rely on good judgement, i.e. proportionate and reasonable but I can't comment on that.

Guest Battery Bill

Actually her Hubby recently got a ticket for having a number plate 1 inch too small on his Moped when he was driving to work at 6 AM, so they are both a bit miffed :lol: :lol:

Mickey

i nearly hit a car today the prat of a woman on the phone missed the bend

I agree with you on that one and I have had similar situations like a lot of us probably have had, but in this case I think it was a bit extreme :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest micky bigthumbs

i know its extrene and the bibs should have given her a warning..but the trouble is you train young kids to do a job and they do it ..its all black and white..they are doing a job that has to have some grey and coloured areas ...and the pages they read are Black and White...

The law applies equally to a phone being used while the vehicle is in motion as it does stationary in traffic. Vehicle would need to be parked, engine off. Clearly this driver was very much in charge of the vehicle, and although stopped was likely to be driving again in a very short space of time.

There is a fine line between enforcement and the use of discretion - perhaps it may have been appropriate to stop the driver and give her a verbal warning. However the fact that she was middle-aged (as opposed to 'elderly'!) should not have a bearing on the process decision. There is only one standard of driving and a 60 yr old should not be treated any differently from a 17 yr old - they are both drivers of motor vehicles on roads.

As Derek says. 'money-grabbing' doesn't enter into it. The only person gaining financially from this incident is the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Now if police officers were performance paid on the basis of tickets issued, then I'd be inclined to agree with you. And if that was the case I would never have given up my lovely 24v Senator for the responsibilities of rank!

Guest Battery Bill

Richard

Yes, most people just get a friendly warning for this one, don't they Bill

Your right and it really annoyed my mate even more when I told him that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest paul091085
There is only one standard of driving and a 60 yr old should not be treated any differently from a 17 yr old.

If only that was the case! :gdit:

Guest micky bigthumbs

Well i think the old woman nice or not should be banned from driving and the young thug of a cop should be re trained at his own expense...

"Give the white van man a chance"