Another Police Debate

Guest Battery Bill

Guest timswait
the essence of driving is the use of the driver's controls for the purpose of directing the movement of the car

There was no movement to be directed, so she wasn't driving.

A driver is still driving until he has completed the normal operations such as applying the handbrake

So if she had the handbrake on is that OK? This is clearly such a borderline case that surely a warning would have been more sensible than a fine, and I think the answer to Bill's original question is a resounding no, it wasn't worth the aggravation caused.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian luxford

the reason why she got a ticket was she was driving! i am sure we all have been behind someone who is on the phone at lights they arent paying attention the lights change and either they havent noticed or they suddenly rush to move off. ok so in this instance nothing happened but what if while the lady was on the phone a pedestrian was crossing the road in between cars just as the lights change? surely there is more chance of you not noticing them if you are nattering away on the phone even if you are intending to end the call before you move off. this is completly different from parking at the side of the road making a call then ending the call before you even think of moving off. so in my opinion its a fair cop, should of looked in her mirrors first!

oh it is so good to be back (even if i dont have a hood :boohoo: )

And just to throw another spanner into the works, it's illegal to stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway to use a mobile phone! (unless in an emergency)

In our area, you will be done if caught!

Guest Captain Daz

Another thing we have to remember is that many laws have become so hard lined (in the car, stationary but engine running) because people have got off scott free on technicalities when they have acted unlawfully. The line becomes more stringent to close the loopholes.

The law works best to the lowest common denominator i.e. person in car with engine running, on mobile phone has the very real possibilty of causing an accident in the future. The fact that the conversation ended before the car moved is irrelevant in law.

I agree that the PC could have used discretion but that's harking back to the good old days when most people respected the police. People treat them like poo now. My Dad attended the scene of a hit and run victim. Looked after the 6 year old daughter who had been knocked clear while her Mum was dragged up the road with horrific injuries. Later that day he pulls a guy who was speeding (only just over the limit) for a word in his ear. When he asks "Can I have your name sir?" the reply he gets back is "Why, aint you got your own mate?"

You tell me how you'd feel and what you'd do next?

I'm not saying that the lady in question was anything but polite, however, when working in today's world sometimes it's easier to run the bottom line.

As for my plan to clear the roads: Three strikes and your out. In flying it's understood that not everyone has the ability to fly an aircraft. Why is that not the case in driving. I reckon three test failures and you can't drive. Ever. OK maybe five but there should be a defining amount. That Moreen from 'Driving School' should never have been let near a car! :D

Remember this is all my humble opinion. I'm not out to have a go at anyone. :)

Take care on the roads, I'm sure most drivers out there are nowhere near as good as us Hoodies!!?

Cheers

Daren

Guest Jaffer
Just out of curiosity if your passenger was holding the phone to your ear are you still using it or is that classed as hands free 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think in law that would be considered 'taking the p155'! :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

Daz

That Moreen from 'Driving School'

Thats funny my mates wife is called Maureen :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

i am sure we all have been behind someone who is on the phone at lights they arent paying attention the lights change and either they havent noticed

Yes I agree (again) but in this case the traffic was stationary and it was unlikely to get going again in the near future, you know the case when you are just sitting there doing nothing :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jon

To the debate : Yes, nick 'em all I say.

Suprise, suprise :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest micky bigthumbs

The horrors of the mobile,,, returning home from coventry a young woman phone in one hand a ciggi in the other hand... driving ..three kids in the back with no seat belts as a white van man we get stick from all road users ..but the things we see on the road are un believable ..i was going to take a photo with my phone but i would have been done for using a mobile and the photo would not have been used to prosecute the idiot woman

Guest micky bigthumbs

Cap Daz ...as a student pilot you can get away with murder untill you qualify..well not actual murder ..i did some superb blunders as a student that qualified pilots would have been grounded for :D

Guest Battery Bill

Daz

In flying it's understood that not everyone has the ability to fly an aircraft.

Oh yes, in the RAF we always used to say "If Flying was that difficult the groundcrew would have to do it" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest micky bigthumbs

Who is the criminal...the woman that has seven kids in a five seater saloon driving over the alchohol limit crashes killing three kids..on the school run as in the press a few weeks back.. if she had been stopped for a spot check the kids would be alive

Guest Battery Bill

Mickey

Who is the criminal...the woman that has seven kids in a five seater saloon driving over the alchohol limit crashes killing three kids..on the school run as in the press a few weeks back.. if she had been stopped for a spot check the kids would be alive

Yes but the old lady in question was alone, Stopped, with no immediate prospect of moving and had no alcohol in her person :D :D

Perhaps it would have been better if she had just switched off the car and got out to make the call, would there have been an offence caused then?

:D :D