2b/new Hood

Guest Dan_Beeston

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi All,

If everything goes according to plan I will soon be ordering a 2B plus kit, & just wanted to know if anyone thinks it would be worth hanging on for the 'Hood'

From what I've seen the 'Hood' chassis looks (a bit) better triangulated, but probably no lighter?

Any ideas how the price will compare?

Is it likely to be more hassle than it's worth being a beta guinea-pig?, or will it be a better evoluntionary design?

Any comments appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Guest stu205

from what Ive seen of it it looks like RHSC have actuall lisened to what people have asked for and done it! as for the weight I was told it lighter than the 2B cant remember how much but a quick call to RHSC should tell you or some other cleverer cahp will tell you on here

Guest TerryBarry

The new one has the weight advantage of not using the massive Sierra rear subframe and those trailing arms.

The upper steering column mounting has been improved.

You will however be a Guinea Pig for their new rear wishbone set-up

Guest Nishka

Hi DAn

Fill in your details onyour profile mate.

youmight find this LINK gives you some more information.

As Terry says it will be lighter by not using the heavy De Dion tube at the rear, also by virtue of having thinner tube wall thickness as well.

Nishka

Guest Dan_Beeston

From the pics it looks like there are no adjustable toe-links on the rear end, anyone know how how it is adjusted, or is it just a fit it & hope it's right job?

Guest turbo

hi mate i have built the 2b plus and would deffinately wait for the new chassis.

the use of the sierra de dion tube is the weakest part of the car,its heavy rides the wheels at the wrong camber when lowered to a reasonable wheel arch height.and you cant get the car low enough for a nice wheel arch without the front of the wishbone scrapeing of the ground on every bit of poor road.

the new chassis is a huge step in the right direction <_<

Guest timswait

It's not actually a DeDion tube, but I know what you mean, and yes it's not a great part of the design and the new one does look better for the rear suspension.

is it just a fit it & hope it's right job?

Yes, I think that's about it :huh:

I've heard that the chassis is made from thinner wall tube so is lighter, not sure if this is true or by how much though. I also prefer the look of the front wishbones, the bottom one is parallel to the road, and the geometry looks better. I think this new one will be better than the 2B, but I wonder how much extra you will have to pay, RH seems to be creeping up the prices of most things.

Guest AWhite

The extra space in the engine bay means that the engine is 10 inches further back giving better weight distribution.

Apparently the weight with a pinto was estimated at around 600-650 kgs. Which is pretty good considering the pinto is a cast iron boat anchor.

Andy

Guest timswait

Where does the extra space come from? My Hood already has more weight on the back axle than the front, so it doesn't really need a more rearwards weight distribution.

Guest chris brown
My Hood already has more weight on the back axle than the front,
As others have said that’s because of the Sierra rear end. Throw that away and bring the engine back and RH say they have got 50/50 weight distribution. Not sure how they have come to that conclusion as they haven’t built one yet but that is what Grim and me were told at Stonleigh. BTW there is still development work to be done on both front and rear suspension. Also did you know they are aiming on a two week (full time) build time.