Tyre Time 185/60/13

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

I'm just a poor student but I've always liked the Pro Race 1.2's

TD1.jpg

but now rh and a few other kit companies have started selling them <_<

anyway. my tyres are getting nearer to slicks so I'm just after some new tyres for now :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest megablade
:gdit:

I've got insurance so I need tyres, I just don't want big heavy wheels slowing me down :p

Get a Reliant Robin, 25% reduction in wheel weight immediataly :lol:

Guest docter fox

:lol: I do the wheel allignment and tyre fitting myself so that's not a problem :p

I've got it down to the falken 512's and the a539's but it sounds like the yoko's are better, I can't find a price online so I'll ring a supplier today :)

Guest chris brown
I like A539s they really suit a lightweight car well IMHO. And grip like Sh1t to a blanket.
I agree with that and you will get a decent mileage out of them and they do a 175/50R13VR but 185/60's are going to limit your choice.

Demon Thieves do them for £57.60 inc VAT so you must be able to get them cheaper I paid £30 inc VAT for 195/50R15. I have 306's on at the moment and they are very poor in comparison lots of understeer and squealing (but were very cheap :p :p :p )

Guest docter fox

I'd fit them myself anyway, I've been looking through but there isn't many options for 13 inch wheels, and 175/50 seems a bit small though

and if they're 57.60, I'd rather pay the extra 40p for the r888's ;)

but now rh and a few other kit companies have started selling them

A local locost builder got his from Halfords inc tyres for £300, there was a 20% discount at the time though, which is half the price RH quoted at Stoneliegh,

But they did say they would offer a members discount, how much we didnt find out

Mitch

Guest wizas

I had a set of Yoko 539s on a BMW (rear wheel drive) coupe a couple of years ago. They were ok in the dry once they had warmed up, but in the wet or when they were cold they were rubbish. The rear end was all over the place particularly when entering and leaving roundabouts. Quite a thrill really! But dangerous!

I have just put a set of Toyo T1-R onto my Civic Type R. They are brilliant in the wet and dry. I chose them after reading the detailed test reports available on the MYTYRE web site. This is an invaluable source of info on most makes of tyres. I picked up a set of Compomotive 15" alloys on ebay and have just fitted a set of Toyo T1-R to those. I am hoping to get my Hood on the road on 1 June. It will be interesting to see how I get on bearing in mind that the car is relatively very light. A guy who lives near me drives a Caterham. He swears by Yoko AO21-R. They are available on 13" but not 15" otherwise I would have tried them. Apparently they grip incredibly well but don't last very long!

You pays your money and takes your chances!!!!

Guest chris brown
Yoko 539s on a BMW (rear wheel drive) coupe a couple of years ago.
There’s no comparison except its a rear wheel drive. It’s the weight that makes the difference tyres that work well on a heavy car can be rubbish on a light one and visa versa.

Guest docter fox

I've just given another couple of wheels a quick spray black for now as I have legal tyres for them somewhere so hopefully they won't look too out of place for now ;)

I have been getting part worn 185/65 r13 mitchelin slicks for the Firefox. Cost about £50-60 for a set of four. Normally good for 2 track days i.e. about 200 track miles and the grip just does not compare to a road legal tyre as long as its dry of course :D .

For road use I just use a set of cheap budget tyres.