Super Spec Wiper Motor Assembly

Help!

Have viewed the DVD but my assembly is not fitted with those " already and ready to go mounts", how unusual!

Also I would prefer not to bolt drive shaft mounts through the top of scuttle as suggested it will look naff..

Has any one of the completed superspecs been built without these nasty bolts

How do you set the angle for the drive shafts? To get the motor mount correct on the firewall!

Any help much appreciatted..

Tony

Guest Dredd

Mine is bolted directly to the scuttle top with dome headed allen bolts, couples with spread washers underneath. Doesn't look 'naff' IMHO.

Just in the process of doing mine - have the two bolts through the top of the scuttle, which are symmetrical and will put black plastic covers over them. Should look fine.

I thought about trying to avoid the bolts through the top thing, but the mechanism is so heavy, any other way of doing it would require so much reinforcement to keep everything it the correct position, that I thought it wasn't worth all the hassle.

With the spindles poking through the holes, and everything in place, I found that there wasn't actually that much room for adjustment - just keep the spindles from rubbing against the holes.

But - I haven't fitted the screen yet so can't confirm that it all works fine yet.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how you get on...

Cheers

James

Hi folks thanks for your comments, much appreciated

Still worried about the brackets for the wiper spindles can anybody tell me based on the shape on the DVD ie the bracket looks as if its a V shape, what is typically the dimension between the two arms of the V once its fitted to the wiper assembly. That way I can use the RH technique and your suggestions for a domed and covered bolt through the scuttle

Thanks

Tony

It's down to trial and error I'm affraid. I used a bit of spare stainless, marked the holes where the spindles were on the scuttle, cut them out and used this as a template to get the correct angle for the supporting brackets. (all done on the bench without involving the scuttle) Plus... once the brackets are correct you can drill holes through the template for the bolts, then you can use the template to mark the holes for the bolts on the scuttle.

In the end I used some steel tube cut to the correct angles (instead of V-brackets) and stuck them to the wiper motor so that they would not move when offering the motor up to the scuttle for final fit.

Hope this makes sense :wacko:

Will

Guest superspec

Instead of Bolting mine throught the scuttlle, I pop riveted the supporting brackets which are hidden under the screen rubber when fixed on so no fixings visible at all

:D