Sva Report

Joel

SVA Test – 08/08/2003

Birmingham - Garrets Green Test Centre.

2B – wishbones – 2.0OHC carb

Just got back from my first SVA test, and without beating about the bush, it failed.

90% of the fail points can be fixed in 5 minutes, but there are problems with the brakes and speedometer, which might cause a few headaches.

The test should have been on the 27th August, but I got a cancellation at short notice for today. Thankfully I’d been ready for a week or two, so there was no last minute panic to get things done.

Things didn’t get off to a great start as I somehow managed to get horrendously lost around Birmingham, despite driving out to the test centre the night before to get myself familiar with the route. I ended up driving through a housing estate that had speed humps every 100 yards or so, but miraculously my sump survived intact. Unfortunately my speedometer didn’t fare so well - it decided to stop working during the detour.

I rolled in a few minutes late, but testing hadn’t started yet so I had a while to compare notes with a Locust driver who was waiting in the queue.

So on with the test – probably quicker to list the fail points:

· Rear fog light switch incorrectly illuminated – I had illuminating when the sidelights were on, but it has to turn on when you turn the switch on.

· Rear fog light not at 90 degrees to floor – He had originally said this was ok as the reflection was the same over quite a broad angle, but later changed his mind.

· Both wing mirrors incorrectly radiused to 2.5mm

· Both wing mirrors failed rear view test – time to bin the wing mirrors I think.

· Steering column UV joint not locked – apparently this has tabs that you’re supposed to bend over, locking the nuts in place.

· Bolt thread not long enough for lock nuts on: steering rack, lower front shock mountings, and front wishbone mountings.

· No reserve left in brake pedal – more in a moment

· Speedometer inoperative.

On the whole most of it will be easy to fix.

It did actually pass the static brake test, but then something decided to give up during a trip around the car park - the brake pedal went all spongy and is travelling all the way to the floor. The tester suspected the master cylinder might have gone – my second one and I’m not even on the road yet!

So despite passing the brake tests for systems, service control, mechanical components, parking control and hydraulic and vacuum systems, it failed on brake performance anyway.

The speedometer could be a real headache as it uses a magnetic proximity sensor on the prop-shaft, and to get to it involves removing the seats and tunnel carpet. There’s still power to the gauge, so I suspect the problem is at the other end.

Overall the test wasn’t too bad. The examiner, Dave, was extremely thorough on the external projections, and must have tested every surface with his various devices. There were some areas around the steering, suspension, cycle wings, windscreen pillars, and exhaust that he paid particular attention to, even getting a second opinion on some bits. I was sure something would be mentioned in his report, but all passed without comment. I was particularly worried about the seatbelt mounts after reading a few other SVA reports, and he did ask about them but seemed happy that they were sufficient. Also I was amazed it passed the noise test (99 decibels @ 3500rpm – RHE 2into1 on 2.0carb), as the exhaust was popping and burbling like crazy.

The examiner was very friendly and approachable. He explained everything he was doing and gave good reasoning for his decisions, and he let me make the odd adjustment where necessary. There was no comment or decision during the test that I was unhappy with, and apart from the fail points he was very complimentary about the overall build quality of the car.

So a bit stressful this morning what with getting lost and my Speedo dying on me, but on the whole an interesting experience, and the drive home in the sun was glorious – I couldn’t go too fast as I only had about 50% brake efficiency, but WOW! After driving a van for the past fortnight, the responsiveness and feedback from the steering is just unbelievable, great performance, and that noise from the exhaust is awesome.

Bring on SVA2. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good day's work! You'll still be on the road by the original test date won't you?

I too failed first time round on the lock tabs on the steering joint. There's a small tab by each bolt head and you're supposed to knock them over to prevent the bolts from undoing themselves. This is best done from under the car if you've got a 4 into 1.

Mirrors - Are they RHE mirrors? If not, what sort are they? I'm looking for a pair of post SVA one's - if interested let me know.

Anyhow, congrats on the majority pass. I look forward to the full pass!

Ant

Cheers Ant. Hopefully not too much to do - I just had a look at the brake master cylinder/vacuum servo, and I think I can see what's gone wrong there. Just that pesky Speedo to figure out.

The mirrors are SPA Design Saloon mirrors, 133mm x 70mm lens, black plastic case with flat mirror.

tbl.jpg

You're welcome to make me an offer but I wouldn't want to fob you off with something that's not up to the job - they don't give a great view to be honest. I'm more annoyed that I've drilled 2 holes in my spangly chrome plated windscreen pillars than anything. :angry:

Guest Angel Boy

Joel depending on how you have drilled the holes all might not be lost. The mirrors I have fitted (still have them on) are from a Kawasaki ZX9R and they have two bolts that look a similar distance between centres as the picture shows. Might be worth investigating. If you get second hand/used ones they have the full "e" markings etc (replica/pattern ones don't).

Might be worth looking at before you drill some more holes etc.

Andy

Good luck on the retest, sounds like most things are easy to fix. As for the mirrors i have just bought a pair from Tiger racing and they are excellent, fully e marked and a great field of vision, I just wish i bought them before my test instead of the kit supplied ones i used.

Could the speedo magnets not of come off the propshaft? if so would it not be better fixing them to a drive shaft <_<

Hope you get a quick re-test before this weather leaves us.

HTH

Mitch