Cam Change

Jon Green

Hi Guy's

Anyone got any helpful advice on setting up the cam/ ignition timing. I've installed a FR33 cam and run it at 2500 rpm for twenty minutes to bed it in, but its not running well and when i tested it down the road it was banging through the exhaust on almost every stroke! :unsure: A really struggle and no power.

Somethings you shouldn't mess with!!

I just need to get it running well enough to drive the 20mile to the tuning garage.

Cheers

Jon.

Yes, It seems to get worse.

If i had the cam 180 degs out on the crank the engine wouldn't start would it???

I think my main problem is that i don't have a gauge that to stick in the spark plug hole to determine true TDC and put on the no.1 inlet to check that full lift is happening at the right time. I really don't have a clue if i've got it right or not. :ph34r:

well for the 20 minute it ran ok ish. i was just reving freely. once it takes some load i.e. driving the car it bangs through the exhaust and has next to no power.

It's like either the exhaust is opening to early or the ignition is happening too late. I might be wrong on this as im no expert!

Guest Kieran

Sounds like the cam timing could be out. Have you fitted a vernier pulley, and are you sure on the cam timing??

One tooth either way and it'll run like a machine gun...... :lol: :lol:

Kieran :wacko:

One tooth either way and it'll run like a machine

Thats very much what it sounds like when running without load. pulsing type of exhaust note!

I'm of to the garage now to take the timing belt off and start again! At least the cam has been run in!

Cheers Guy's

Well after a hour and a half of resetting all the cam and ignition timing she's running like a dream! :D Almost.... definately well enough to drive to the rolling road!

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Jon