Twin Webers & Ignition Timing.

Guest elgey7

Guest elgey7

Simon

many thanks for your set up process.

I found a major problem last night which would explain a lot.

I was concerned when i fitted the carbs about the type of o ring seals I received.

The seals I got with the carbs were the plastic spacer type with the seperate o rings.

When I fitted them the o rings looked a bit on the large size but I got them in OK.

Last night I took the carbs off the manifold and as I did I found the o rings to now be 25% bigger

in diameter as they fell out. These must have been made of crap since they had swollen dramatically

with the fuel. Everyone of them was the same they felt like jelly to touch!!!

Luckily since I was concerned about these to start with I ordered a set of the molded to metal type

which looked like a pair of specs. I fitted these and bingo. No more inlet popping at light throttle.

I need to reset the idle mix screws now so your information is timely.

A lesson for other members here - watch out for cheap non fuel resistant o rings!

Even though they may be supplied new with carbs.

Thanks again.

Colin

Guest Bob Green

Quoting elqey7

"Luckily since I was concerned about these to start with I ordered a set of the molded to metal type

which looked like a pair of specs. I fitted these and bingo. No more inlet popping at light throttle."

What you have now is Misab joints which are the best you can get. make sure you have the "bobbin" type fixings that go between the securing nuts and carb bodies that have a cup washer each side instead of the thackery washer fitment. Once fitted you will never have to worry about them.

As I have said before, people think DCOE's are something you hold a crucifix to and hurl garlic at them! My answeer is think of the cars that had DCOE as standard fitment. The Aston Martin Volante comes to mind. Would they fit them if they were crap........ no.

It is because folk do not understand the principal of operation and therefore setting up. I had a 172 bhp Pinto car (Westfield) on 45's that would pull very smoothly from 1,200 rpm in 5th gear all the way up the range and would return 30 mpg on a run.

The rule of thumb is if you want up to 150 bhp, 40's are fine but over that,

you will need 45's.

Guest yosamite sam

colin have you got lumenition fitted in place of the points mate? i fitted one of those units over winter and what a difference it made.. virtually eliminated spit back altogether bar the odd one or two (usually chugging around on slight throttle) it dont like it - its meant to be driven not tootling.. anyways.. yea get one if you can - the car runs smoother and my fuel actually reaches the piston chamber instead of being spit back out the filters which causes a shortage of fuel momentary - hence flat spot.. points can bounce at high revs even new ones by fitting the optical lumenition that is history.. i would advise all who havnt to do so.. best bit of tuning you can get if using that set up..

Simon,

I think you could write a book, even i could follow those instuctions although i think i would buy the book and still get someone to do it for me :huh: However i would have a much better understanding of how it all works.