It Failed..... But Only Just!

Guest Andy Hamilton

Guest Andy Hamilton

Well, just got back from the SVA and as we suspected, a failure. :( But hopefully not too bad, here's the list:

1) Nylocs required on the steering rack U bolt (oops forgot that) ;)

2) Larger rear view mirror required to meet field of view

3) Lower edge of dash radius. (it is padded, just not enough...apparently :p )

4) Windscreen wipers do not wipe enough of the screen..... not sure how to rectify this yet.... :huh:

5) Hand brake efficiency on offside - imbalance at 53%.. need to look at mechanism again :wacko:

that is all. 3 very easy, a couple not so easy

and it decided to misfire on the way home... :lol: another job on the list!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soon they'll be calling this the To-Do List forum !

Nice short list - another one on the road it a week or 2

Well Done :) :)

Funny since passing SVA my list is getting longer and longer !

Guest scottie686

Well done !! ;) Was it Neville that tested your car? (fairly tall fella? (saying that everyone is tall to me!! being such a short arse an all! :D )) If it was he failed me on my brake imbalance (69%), but mine was due to the rear nearside brake cylinder being half seized!! and the lower dash trim! You should have those done in no time!!

S.

Guest chris brown

Well done Andy except for the wipers all easy fixes.

As for the wipers if you are using mini system then you may have to change the wheel boxes as there are 3 (I think) different angle of movement ones, or if you can alter the throw of the crank on the drive wheel at the motor - I’ve never tried this but have heard of others doing it with varying success

Guest Andy Hamilton

The guy that tested it was Steve Deniss, a short fella (maybe only your height Scott!!) He was very fair I think, but the wipers is purely down to a subjective assessment. He did make it clear that they didn't like Robin Hoods, and particularly the former owner. They have had run-ins with Richard on the phone in the past (who hasn't!)

I already have a 110 deg wiper gear that I took out (and replaced with a 90 deg) because the wiper blades were leaving the screen on the bottom edge at full sweep. Looks like I will have to revert to that and get shorter blades like caterham do.

Not sure about the handbrake though, as the foot brake performed perfectly. I don't really want to upset it. I will check the mechanism though.

Guest Battery Bill

Dan

You could try making your wiper system a "clap hands" one. That seems to cover more of the screen than conventional.

Like ours :D but I still cant see much through it when its peeing down :lol: :lol:

You dont have to Bill... :lol: ....just so long as it pleases the SVA inspector :p

I changed mine to "clap hands" & it certainly seems to clear more of the screen.

May be subjective, but the inspector will be too.

Sound good Andy.....not long now!!!

Bob

Guest Andy Hamilton

I asked him about the clap hands system, and he said 'NO WAY!' he didn't want to see the wipers parking in the field of vision..... :(

It is, as you say, subjective! <_<