Cylinder Head Bolts

steve in stockport

ok the head has had to come off today in an attempt to cure my cars sudden liking for getting very hot.

the question i need answering is are these bolts the reusable kind or the throw away ones?

conwayandheadbolts008.jpg

conwayandheadbolts009.jpg

its a 2 litre efi pinto by the way

thanks in advance

Steve

Guest chris brown

They are stretch bolts and as such should be replaced but I have known people use then twice with no problems but IMHO it’s not worth the risk.

Hi Steve

If the bolts have been on the car a while its best to replace if only fitted recently then maybe you can use them again you can measure them and look at the specification in the workshop manual for the limits but for about £15 is it worth it.

Steve

Guest hypermick

This seller on EBay is where I had mine from,. theyre good quality ;) unlike some of the cheap foreign ones, :(

He has a good supply of quality gaskets as well.

Just under £12 including p/p. ;) ( much better value than the main dealers. )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-PINTO-HEAD-BOLT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Mick.

forgot to say,...he delivers very quickly too ! ;)

Related point (hopefully not taken as a thread hijack (no pun intended))- after fitting and running engine again, what is recommendation for re-tightening? I seem to remember it is something like 1/4 turn but don't know for sure.

TIA, Brian

I thought that the Torx style head bolts as pictured didn't need re-torqueing after a period of running. Once you have them to the specified torque you then give them a further 90deg turn and that's it....job done.

the earlier splined bolts need re-torquing after 20 mins running, but the torx bolts are as Jon said - torque then down in 2 stages then leave them for 5 mins and then add another 1/4 turn.

have changed the head gasket, thermostat, water pump and cam belt, will refill the fluids tomorrow and see if the temp stays where it used to

Steve