Gaz Shocks

Guest hypermick

Guest hypermick

Can anyone confirm the open/closed length and best spring ratings (front & rear please) for a set of GAZ shocks ( or,.part Nos would be welcomed ! :) ) in replacement for the Zimmerframe collapsables. ^_^

I was going to wait till after the SVA to change them, but sod it, the more I look at the Zimmers the more I cringe quietly in the corner of the garage. :blink:

Cheers m'dears

Mick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be simple but with everything Robin Hood there is a fair margin for personnal taste. Some say use the open and closed lengths that the Zimmers have, others have taken the opertunity to modify the ride hight. The spring platforms can be different and you may need 2 inch longer springs.

Search for Shocks, then do as i did and make up a spread sheet of peoples different settings. If you have the short sump on then you may be able to go a little lower if not then a bit of extra ground clearance could be prudent.

Guest timswait

I had exactly the same questiona couple of months ago:

Coil Overs

Basically I've fitted 12" open length, 1.9" diameter with 300lb springs to the front. The shocks are right, but the springs are a tad soft. I still haven't got round to fitting the rears, but its Sierra springs, not zimmers, I'm replacing, and am fabricating mounts to suit, so to size will likely be different to you. The 300lb springs I've bought will hopefully be correct though.

Guest hypermick

Thanks for that Tim,

Got hold of a set of GAZ last night and theyre on their way.

Open and closed length Ive ordered pretty much the same 13" open and 9" closed but yet to choose springs.

I went for the extra 1/2" in length (Zimmers being 12.5" open) since this takes the stem of the top eye further away from the square chassis edge, allowing the bottom to locate comfortable a little more towards the ball-joint, remaining still easily repositionable.

Interestingly, Caterham quote 170lbs for front springs using GAZ. There seems to be a tremendous variation of spring ratings people are using even though builds and respective distributed weights are almost the same. (not that the Caterham is of course)

Interesting that ! Will need to play with the ratings no doubt.

Mick

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Mick

At Newark tis year we had along chat with the guy from dampertech about choosing the right shocks / springs for our 2b when we go whishbone.

Admittedly the front of ours, with the Toyota engine, is much lighter than with a Pinto but he reconed on springs well under 200lbs.

Interesting hum <_<

Ian J

Guest hypermick

Hi Ian,. Thanks for the input.

With what youv'e said too, this is why I'm wondering about the spring ratings, and all the variations.

I'm going to do some more research, and thats a good point too that you make about the Toyota lump being lighter.

I remember years ago when we stuffed a V8 Rover lump into a Marina pickup. We worked on the theory that the same front lever arms being used for both the 1.8 MGB engine and the lighter 1.3 A Series engine in the Marina, meant, with the V8 being much lighter than the B series gave us no reason to doubt their capabilities,............and we had no problems at all, it handled lovely !

I have this niggling feeling that 220 lbs front and rear with the correct settings on the shox would be a good starting point. we'll have to see !

cheers

Mick

Guest chris brown

hypermick

Your front shocks sound fine I have 325lb springs on 13" x 9" and on the back 18" x 12" (open - closed) with 300lb springs. Bill and Joey have the same IIRC

Gives a good ride 100% better than the zimmers

Guest Battery Bill

Yup we have the same as Chris and are very happy with them. :D

Ian

Admittedly the front of ours, with the Toyota engine, is much lighter than with a Pinto but he reconed on springs well under 200lbs.

Funny it was David from Dampertech who recommended the 325 fronts and 300 backs, how much lighter is your donk than a Pinto then? :D

Guest hypermick

Thanks Guys for all the input,. much appreciated ! :)

Thats interesting about the longer shocks on the rear, so following on, it raises the further question of, initially using 4 off same length Zimmers (as RH would have you do ) (had they been any good in the first place).

To clarify,I sincerely wonder about the length of tube inside the roll bar to make up the total operational length. <_<

Surely with the top pivot point of the rear shocker being anything up to 5 inches different in height ( GAZ @ 13" or 18" ) isn't there going to be some effect somewhere looking at the operational arc of the rear suspension arm ?

More input from anyones previous findings very welcomed.

Cheers m'dears

Mick

Guest Battery Bill

Mick

initially using 4 off same length Zimmers (as RH would have you do )

Where did you get that idea?

The front and rear Zimmers that we got with the kit were totally different in length :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:

isn’t there going to be some effect somewhere looking at the operational arc of the rear suspension arm?

This should all be taken care of by the Bushes (Top and Bottom) but I agree depending on how much you:

(1) Cut off your tube

(2) Shove your top mounting up the roll cage tube

Will make a difference to the amount of sideways movement ^_^ ^_^

So what is best, Longer shocks or shorter?

No idea really :lol: :lol:

But we are pleased with ours :D :D

Guest hypermick

Hi Bill,

Just checked again,. and theyre definitely all the same length (the Zimmers that were supplied).

What length were your rear Zimmers Bill ?

Theoretically the shocker (whichever-whatever make) should in the sierra rear arm set up be positioned (as Ford did it) on the outer arc of the rear arm, but obviously on the 2B this isnt really practical. I think I'll leave the hoop tube as it is and not cut any off it for now and try the shorter GAZ shocker.

I'm keeping an open mind for future mods though.

Mick

Guest chris brown
Just checked again,. and theyre definitely all the same length (the Zimmers that were supplied).
Unless RH have altered the mounting of the rear coilovers the short ones as fitted to the front would never work as the tyres would be rubbing on the inside of the wings and the chassis on the ground. My supplied rear zimmers were 18" open 12" closed

Guest turbo

mk fit 350lb springs on theres at the front as standard

i was a bit worried that people say they use less than 200lb springs but i stuck with the 350lb springs as a 2b hood must weigh at least as much as a mk.

i am glad i did as i definately wouldent go any lower.

spring length is the hard bit to get right on a guess as a spring just half an inch less has one or two less coils there for compresses more,that leaves you trying to get the car up with the nuts which tends to bring the spring to the coilbound effect if lifted to much.

i have two sets of springs,the ones i prefer are the 8.5" ones which go on with the nuts at there lowest position as this gives a longer springing spring

my others are 7.5" which need a fair bit of winding up on the nuts as they are 1"smaller but also compress more as they have less coils.

do not use my spring sizes as a guide as mine are on protec coilovers which may have a different seet to seet size from the gaz ones.

hope this helps a bit on the springs. :)

Guest Battery Bill

Mick

The same as Chris's (again :lol: )

Actually at first we were given the springs off a "Sliding Pillock" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So had to post them back before we got the "Quality" Green ones :lol: :lol: :lol: