Handbrake

Guest DROID

Just about to fit the handbrake (RH position) and I think I remember seeing a posting about adusting the angle of the lever?? Does anybody know about this mod and what is the best way to route the cable??

All help as always appreciated.

Droid....

Guest Andy Rathbone

yep, the posting is on the other board in build bitz. it works a treat, dont know about SVA but i can reach it i'm 6ft in thick socks. the cable goes under the floor and over the trailing arms, where are you ? if you want a cuppa and look at how i did it your quite welcome to, send us a PM.

cheers to who posted the original

TBOL

Guest stevey

OK this is the low down on handbrakes from my recent SVA. I failed with the handbrake lever in the RH position because I could not reach it strapped into the car(I run cobra seat on low runners) I had to construct a tube spacer to tilt the handbrake upwards at the front so the operation starts where it would finish also I had to fabricate a strengthening plate for under the car to support the bolts from the lever. Cables then run through "keyhole" slots in angle under car as per build video

Steve

Yup,

tunnel top is the way to go.

I replaced the half moon with a smaller pulley narrower than the tunnel top.

Then I added a S/S sheet extension from the tunnel sides, up over the handbrake, nice rounded top, covered in carpet looks pretty neat.

Cheers Bob.

Guest Fred2b

I agree with Bob, tunnel top is the way to go especially if you have harnesses fitted. You have to be able to operate the handbrake from the drivers seat without undoing seatbelts, very difficult with a harness.

One problem I did notice with mine. When the handbrake is pulled up really hard the angle iron with the keyholes in for the cable just behind the seatback ( painted white in the previous post picture) tended to bend slightly and after a while I suppose it could collapse. This could be a SVA fail if the examiner notices it. I have welded some strengtheners from the angle iron to the chassis and it work a treat ( you could bolt them on also). It is also covered over by the boot floor so it's out of sight but there is a removable panel to get at the adjuster. I will only bring this to the examiners attention if he questions the adjusment.

Hope this help

Regards

Fred

Guest Dave E

Can I just ask, to anyone with the tunnel top handbrake arrangement... does it not get in the way at all, if you want to rest your arm on the tunnel top?

Cheers...

Dave :D

Guest Phil Slater

I've used a handbrake off a Mondeo and it fits flat on the tunnel top without any spacers. I've positioned it so I can operate it without having to have my elbow up in the air because my arm was fouling the seats, but not so far foward that it interferes wit the gear lever. I've adjusted the gear lever to make it more of a "quick shift" and shortened it - (I may take another inch of so off) and find my arm rests comfortably on the hand brake lever.

I should say my car is not on the road yet so it's not been tested over a long period but i reackon it won't be a problem.

Phil Slater