Test Date

eddieH

Hi,

I've got the SVA booked for the 15th at Nottingham - having a deadline to work to is quite scary! There's not much more to do now - fit the front indicators and bonnet catches and then go round it looking for sharp edges to cover up. I've booked an MOT at a local garage a few days before the SVA so that someone else can look at it and spot anything I might have missed. They will also sort out the tracking so hopefully it will have some self-centering afterwards. If all goes well it should be on the road before the 2nd of October which is the date that we picked up the kit. When I've tidied the car up a bit (and given it a good clean!), I'll post some pictures. Cheers,

Edward

If all goes well it should be on the road before the 2nd of October which is the date that we picked up the kit.

wow a day to build a hood you really did go some! :lol:

good luck with the test though!! After I had my tracking done the self center was loads better

Hi,

here's a photo of the car now that it has the headlights and indicators on. Later I'll post some pictures showing under the bonnet and around the front suspension - I'd be really grateful if you could let me know if you spot anything that needs more trim or just doesn't look right! I did an engine flush this morning, changed the oil filter and put some nice new Castrol oil in. So, just the bonnet catches to go. I can't make room for the Sierra latch but I've found a gate latch which I've added some springs to so that it's spring-loaded. Hopefully it will act as a pretty good back-up in case the rubber catches come undone (or aren't even done up :lol: ) Cheers,

Edward

post-988-1157723862_thumb.jpg

Hi Terry,

The tyres clear them fine but unfortunately the cycle wings just touch them on completely full lock! :( I think the indicators could be moved inwards by about half an inch and still be within 400mm of the widest part of the car. That should give much better clearance with the cycle wings. Oh well, another little job for the list! Thanks very much for pointing that out - it could have been a bit embarrasing to have found out during the test! Best wishes,

Edward

Hi,

I took the car for an MOT today which it passed. The mechanics at the garage were very professional and helpful (and the service was very good value). In addition to the MOT, they set the headlight aim, adjusted the timing and mixture to improve the emissions and set the tracking to 1.5 degrees toe-in. It now has perfect self-centering and sounds much better than before. The only things they pointed out were a very small amount of oil leaking from the fuel pump and the brake servo vacuum hose is not rigid. They recommended that the fuel pump be replaced reasonably soon but it isn't a major problem yet.

As for the vacuum hose, it is Samco reinforced flexible silicone vacuum tubing. The mechanic said that since it can be blocked by squeezing it, the SVA examiner might not like it. Has anybody had a problem with similar tubing at SVA?

I've attached a few photos of the car below. I would be very grateful for any suggestions / criticisms if you spot anything wrong. I know that the track rods need covering (I'll cover them like the track control arm and indicator extension) - I left them accessible for the tracking adjustment. Thanks! All the best,

Edward

post-988-1158158008_thumb.jpg

post-988-1158158031_thumb.jpg

post-988-1158158054_thumb.jpg

Good luck Eddie. Talk about de ja vue same car, looks like roughly same build time, same things at MOT and only a couple of days after to SVA.

I have to say yours does look a bit tidier than mine - I'm not to good on the detail stuff :D

All the best for the SVA

Phil

Hi,

thanks for the advice Jim. I have now blocked the rear bonnet vents off with rectangles of metal and some sealant. That should be one less thing to fail on :) . The fan does seem to work ok although I've got it permanently on with the ignition. I accept that this is not exactly ideal, but in 15 minutes of stop-start traffic and over an hour of running at the garage (I think they just liked the sound of it!) it never got past the 'M' of norm on the temperature gauge. I suspect it'll turn out that my temperature sensor is knackered :lol: . However, if I take the fuse out of the fan circuit, the temperature does head towards the red end of the gauge quite quickly. Perhaps putting a thermostat switch in the top hose is the answer?

Phil, thanks for your kind words. With any luck both our cars will be on the road in the next couple of weeks - see you on the road!

Cheers,

Edward

As soon as you can, dump the RHSC electric fan and get a proper one (loads of threads about it on here)

Even better than that dump that radiator and get a Coolman. I fitted the RH electric fan 'just in case' the car ever over heated. It was wired up to a manual swtich.

Even driving around on some of those roasting July days my car has NEVER overheated, and I have never had to use the fan! :)

Good luck with the SVA; it's looks like a tidy build.

As for the vacuum hose, it is Samco reinforced flexible silicone vacuum tubing. The mechanic said that since it can be blocked by squeezing it, the SVA examiner might not like it. Has anybody had a problem with similar tubing at SVA?

Hi Edward,

I had a problem with some brakes years ago. It turned out that the hose was collapsing (under vacumn) and therefore not working. It can be cured in either of two ways: 1. Replace it with something less flexible, or 2. Insert a stretched out spring down the hose to support it (this is what I did - and it worked a treat).

The car's looking good - Best wishes for the SVA!