Can You See Any Problems ?

Guest vacinc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers, i recommended it to a friend, because i think its a good deal. but i dont no much about leightweights

i dont want to give him a bum stear, ?

I think there are a few structural modifications needed to get the Lightweight through SVA. As I understand it, only 1 has so far passed but if your friend is good mechanically, these things could be overcome.

I'm pretty new to all this so wouldn't even dream of starting a project like this although the Lightweight looks an excellent car.

Bit of a case of suck-it and see.

I would not buy it as VOSA has issued a memo to all SVA stations that there must be significant structural modifications to the monocoque to get a pass and no one knows what these modifications are yet. Why buy known trouble. I'm sure in time that a suitable strengthening pack can be worked out. My guess is that this will need far more bolted joins and fewer rivets, strengthening plates and some square section structural members adding in various places to beef it up. The time to fit these would be during the build of the chassis. Retro fit to a car further on in the build will be more challenging. I can't see that it is a good plan to buy at this stage when there are plenty of kits available that will pass SVA just by being carefully built to plan.

The same money gets you an MK or Luego built chassis with no significant structural issues. A few sheets of ally to panel it in and you have reached the same stage as this kit. Why wouldn't you?

Nigel

Looking at the included parts I still come up with the same reservations.

Guest Alan_builder

Hi

I think Nigel is correct.

My thoughts _ Aeroplanes are not made from alumina but alumina alloy, why alumina is too soft it has little structrual strength.

Alan

I :wub: my RH

Guest chris brown

It will be cheep but as Nigel says it is a risk but if your mate follows the info that is on this site then it should be possible to get it through SVA

BTW it belongs to one of the community users on this site

If he wants it as a road car then I think one with a chassis is a better bet.

Guest timswait

The biggest problem with it is that it is a lightweight!

If he wants it as a road car then I think one with a chassis is a better bet.

Agreed, and if he wants a track car then one with a chassis is a far better bet, I'd not want to have a serious off in a lightweight.Also I can't see it getting through srutineering if the scrutineer knew an SVA inspector had judged the design unsafe for road use :unsure:

You might get it through SVA with quite a lot of extra work, look at the thread in chassis, but why take on the extra work and risk?

Just as a point, it's not pure aluminium, there's certainly some other elements in there to make it an alloy. 100% aluinium isn't really used for anything, it's marginally harder than cheese. No idea what alloy, as far as I know Robin Hood won't tell anyone, but you can bet it's not an Aerospace one, probably 1050 or something similar (and cheap!)

he"s going to use it for track days, he has a blackbird engine, it should go very well ?

he builds plane"s for a liveing, so he no"s what he"s doing, are is he just going to give him self alot of extra work ?

Well I'd buy it :D (if I had the space and the time and I wasn't already building something else plus the wife would kill me :wub: )

They're as cheap as beans at the moment due to all the uncertainty, but fixes should be found for all the Lightweight issues and hopefully they'll start going through SVA.

EXCELLENT THREAD started by Zoomzoom :D

Guest timswait

Be aware: track days usually require the car to be road legal and registered, so even as a track car you'll probably still need SVA. They'll sometimes let you on with an MSA competition car log book, but then you'll need MSA scrutineers to check the car over, which in some ways is as stringent as SVA.

Yes it's cheap, but make sure your mate is fully aware that in it's current state it will not pass SVA, and no one knows exactly what is required to get it passed.

Guest warwick7735

Hi all

Its funny how all the responses aren't even from LW owners, if I had the room I'd build another one. Tell ur mate to buy it u cant be wrong at that price, its half of wot I paid.

Many thanks

Warwick

Just thought i would drop a note here i phone the guys up at nottingham about 3 weeks ago and they told me that other than seat belt plates and roll bar plates then they would pass it just annoys me that people with no knowlegde on the lightweight have to stick there un-wanted 2 penth worth of crap the only reason i sold mine was because i really wanted to do a mk indy in the first place