End Of Life Vehicles

Guest paul thompson

Guest paul thompson

This is something that I think you guys need to be aware of. Under new regulations on End of life vehicles (ELV) only an Approved Treatment facility (ATF) is allowed to issue a certificate of destruction. ATF's will only take complete cars under the ELV directive.

What is a Certificate of Destruction?

A Certificate of Destruction (CoD) is issued by the DVLA to prove that a vehicle has been scrapped in a lawful and environmentally sound manner. Without a CoD a last owner could be fined under new laws on continuous licensing. To download a copy of the DVLA’s leaflet on the Certificate of Destruction see the further information section below.

What is a qualifying vehicle?

In accordance with the End of Life Vehicle regulations 2005, vehicles registered after 1st July 2002 (from next year vehicles of all ages will be encompassed), which are complete and do not contain any additional waste will qualify for freetakeback when delivered to a vehicle manufacturer approved Authorised Treatment Facility. Cartakeback ATFs and Cartakeback-Points guarantee freetakeback for all qualifying vehicles of the brands listed above which are delivered to their sites. This service may also be extended to other brands of vehicle.

You can only dispose of your Donor through an ATF to get a COD. You will have to pay them as incomplete cars do not qualify for free take back. Not all dismantlers are ATF's. Without a COD you will be liable to pay tax or register it for ever every year as Sorn.

Wonderful. So if you get it wrong somehow you will be liable for tax, MOT and insurance for ever as you have to give an address at which the vehicle is kept for sorn. A visit from an inspector will reveal the vehicle is not at that address so is on the road and you will be liable for a fine. He could come back daily to collect fines.

Unfortunately you won't be able to MOT a non existant vehicle or tax it although you could insure it to reduce the fine a bit. Of course the insurance would be voided because the car is untaxed and has no MOT. Bit of a catch 22. I wonder if the liability will pass on to the children?

More excellent legislation from Uncle Tony and the EU.

Nigel

Ah more good news!!!

... and of course re-using significant parts of a knackered car is not enviromentally healthy, its far better to produce lots of nice new nasty emissions and use more raw materials making a new one. Even better when its made in another country so they have the employment/profit benefit too.... we'll just do the paperwork then! Thanks Lionel :(

You would think that they had run out of useful things to do!!!

Jaff

PS Sorry for the cynical comment, but I've just spent nearly four hours with a collegue going around doing a 'Fire Risk Assessment'..... which appears to be needed as we are no longer allowed to rely on common sense!

Now just have a triping over check, whizzy round dangerous machinery check, a squirty hot things check, a bumping into things check, a getting your finger stuck in the door check, a drinking your tea too hot check..................

I hope all your hammers are marked with do not hit yourself with this as it may cause injury labels. Have you put a 'Don't dry Chiwawas in this oven' label on the microwave.(Some twit would sue after toasting his Yorkie. Well it only said Chiwawas) Etc etc..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

:wacko:

Nigel

Guest paul thompson

It's not as bad as it looks, You just need to be sure that the disposer is an ATF, if the car is incomplete, they will charge you for disposal, same as before, and if they are an ATF they can still issue you with a COD. Then DVLA leave you alone. My only point was to make sure you are aware that only ATF's can issue a COD. Without a COD you could face an uphill battle with DVLA.

Thanks for the info Paul, I now know that I need to make sure that I have the appropriate paperwork when ditching the donor bits. In our area, any kind of scrap is making pretty good money at the moment so I certainly wasn't expecting to have to pay!!!

Guest timswait

I wonder who counts as the manufacturer, the company who made the kit or the guy who puts it together? Would most likely be the kit maker, but what about people going down the Locost route, getting chassis from one place, suspension from another, engine from a donor, etc?

Guest Battery Bill

So if you are left with the shell and take it to your local Scrap merchant where he weighs it all up then pays you its worth, you have to make sure he can give you a COD :o :o

I wonder how many ATFs are in the country? ^_^ ^_^

In accordance with the End of Life Vehicle regulations 2005, vehicles registered after 1st July 2002 (from next year vehicles of all ages will be encompassed), which are complete and do not contain any additional waste will qualify for freetakeback when delivered to a vehicle manufacturer approved Authorised Treatment Facility. Cartakeback ATFs and Cartakeback-Points guarantee freetakeback for all qualifying vehicles of the brands listed above which are delivered to their sites. This service may also be extended to other brands of vehicle.

You can only dispose of your Donor through an ATF to get a COD. You will have to pay them as incomplete cars do not qualify for free take back. Not all dismantlers are ATF's. Without a COD you will be liable to pay tax or register it for ever every year as Sorn.

And I thought the police used a lot of Jargon!

Wonderful. So if you get it wrong somehow you will be liable for tax, MOT and insurance for ever as you have to give an address at which the vehicle is kept for sorn

No, MOT and Insurance is only required if you use or keep the car on the road.

Guest hypermick

Talk about wading through pudding,....................the problem is half of the DVLA and LVLO's dont understand their own regulations anyway, so adding this to the great pot of misunderstanding is going to be wonderful.

If any of you out there are as bloody minded as I can be sometimes I wont be poncing about proving to anyone what I did with the remnants of my donor. As I understand it the issue of these certificates is for complete vehicles in the main, and comes under the cloak of safe disposal and proper environmental recycling. Lets face it we now have a dustbin for household, a green bin for garden waste, a bag for magazines and a crate for tins and plastic bottles. As far as I'm concerned a carved up car shell is either for the scrap man or the tip and if the paperwork needs to be sorted out I'll get the ex DVLA man (who's name escapes me at present, but who sorts out the SVA appointments and deals with the licensing of kit cars) to deal with this too. He's cracking good value for money and a sure fire way of avoiding any of the red tape headaches.

I'm certainly not wasting my time with it.

Mick.

Edited by hypermick