Slow Turning Engine

Guest craig cowley

Guest craig cowley

Help!!!!

i have a problem with starting my car i have a s7 with a 2.1 pinto with a high compression engine and i am experiencing dificulties with turning the engine over fast enough to start it. :angry:

the motor is ok as it is easy to push start (but very dificult when on your own have tried toboggan style dont work!!) :huh:

is there a possibility that the starter motor is tired as i have already upgraded the wiring to Vbig and upgraded the battery to transit size cold crank approx 750amps

i also have trouble with charging even though the voltage seems correct it does not seem to charge the battery although this may be a red hearing as all journys have to start and finish at home so are therefore short due to starting problem.

i am now thinking of changing the starter to a diesel sierras one or an automatics as i beleive these were more powerfull? :huh:

Guest Sean Timney

Craig,

This may sound painfully obvious, but have you checked to make sure you have a good earth......when my Pinto was in the Sierra, it had the same problem......it turned out to be the earth.....just ensure the surface is clean and you've got good contact......then again, your starter motor could be on it's way out......

HTH

Sean

Guest craig cowley

have thought of earth connecton and ran a seperate wire direct from engine to battery. as well as the strap to the chassis and the strap from battery to chassis.

The transit engine starter motor sounds interesting i just wonder if this would be a straight swap hope to get to scrappy soon and dig around.

as for the battery discharge it seems to hold a residual amount in the battery a good charge speeeds it up for the first couple of attemt s at starting but then falls in to this slow turn over and can keep going like that forever.

Thanks for all the ideas as this problem has flumexed me gives me renewed hope :D

• 2 months later...
Guest craig cowley

:D :D :D :D finaly found the solution (or rather my freindly garage did)

the starter motor was at fault i am now the proud owner of a severly upgraded starter nearly twice the physical size of the old one so it nearly turns the car over let alone the engine.

apparantly the original ford unit was right on the limit to save space so the new one works a treat.

now all ive got to do is save up for the tax disk :gdit:

Guest 2BBoulton
the motor is ok as it is easy to push start (but very dificult when on your own have tried toboggan style dont work!!) 

Easy to push start! If I remember correctly you were sat in the car and I was behind doing the pushing :gdit: (Services on the way to Stonleigh)