Spare Wheel

Hi Guy's,

I've splashed out and bought a spare wheel cover..... looks the dogs and fits like a glove!

The only problem is that with it on the wheel, I can't secure it to the car and if I secure the wheel to the car I can't get the cover on. If I slacken the fixings off I can get the cover on but the spare wheel then moves about whilst driving :o .

I've been racking my brains trying to think of a way of sorting it....... It's a 2b by the way.

How have others solved the problem?

Guest golfgtidarren
Hi Guy's,

I've splashed out and bought a spare wheel cover..... looks the dogs and fits like a glove!

The only problem is that with it on the wheel, I can't secure it to the car and if I secure the wheel to the car I can't get the cover on. If I slacken the fixings off I can get the cover on but the spare wheel then moves about whilst driving :o .

I've been racking my brains trying to think of a way of sorting it....... It's a 2b by the way.

How have others solved the problem?

Thats easy

Mine is fitted with two threaded rods that bolt through a s/s tube with nuts on the wheel side and the inside of the body panel (boot area)

Weld the nuts on the wheel side of the bar, thread the rod through the tubes and into the boot space and tighten them up- Hey presto - jobs a goodun !!

Ps where did you get the cover from (i want 1)

Darren

Edited by darren-m

Thanks for the reply's,

It's amazing how the brain works (or doesn't) when you look at a problem. I was trying to think up some kind of pivoting rack that the spare bolted, but it's pretty obvious really to fix studs to the wheel and do the securing inside the boot....

I'll trot down to the garage and take a piccy of the cover for you Darren. It came from Cutlers http://www.wheelcover.com/index1.html

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I used my spare in the first thousand miles - something ripped the sidewall on my new bestest ever tyres.

To think I nearly didnt bother with a spare !!

My spare wheel cover will "peel" down far enough to undo the nuts and remove the wheel BUT I have found that the cover has marked the back panel where it obviously flaps a bit DOH !

Steve