Series Iii Pedal Mounting

Guest Andy Sparrow

Guest Andy Sparrow

I have noted my clutch in my series III getting harder to press and the pedal travel reducing over the last few months, upon investigation it appears the makeshift support arrangement to support the whole assembly at the top point has bent and allowed the pedal assembly to twist out of true.

I checked out the video and I dont like Riks idea of using the pedal cover box to support the top point, has anyone come up with a more sturdy way of supporting the pedal bar assy, without utalising the cover box ?

A pic would really help...

thanks in advance

Andy

Simplest is to take a bit of 3mm thick steel, about 1 inch wide. It acts as a brace from the bulkhead to the plate at the front of the pedal box that the servo is bolted to so it needs a right angle flange bent on each end. Bolt into place. You can include a wiggle to pick up the bolt hole at top centre of the pedal bracket. Sorry haven't got a camera.

Nigel

This would usually come about because the clutch cable is about to seize up, because of the heat of the exhaust.

You need to protect the cable where it goes through the exhaust manifold, with some form of heat shield, I wrapped fairly thick copper wire around it (old motorbikers trick) and it lasted for around 3 years, although when I took it off to change the engine, it was certainly getting stiffer.

Providing the cover does bolt up to the pedal box tightly, it should be enough.