Gearbox Problems

Guest tom2b

I have got the sierra 5 speed type 9 box in my 2b, occasionaly it appears to jam in 3rd gear with no drive and its a real effort to get the lever back out and pick up another gear. It scared me the other day as it happened when i was overtaking someone and i lost all drive and had to abort whilst on the wrong side of the road :wacko: Its only happening in 3rd, bear in mind the box has 90k + miles on it.

I have the following options:

Get my gearbox reconditioned by the local transmission people. Cost £300 approx

Recondition it myself, no idea of cost

Buy a reconditioned box off of ebay for £300 LINK

Buy a box off of a scrappy not gambling on it being a good box Cost approx £50 - £70

I really dont know what to do

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Hi Tom,

May I suggest you at least have a look inside the box first before you condem it. Do you get no drive when you select third gear or loose drive in third gear? From what little I know about boxes if drives with no unusual grinding or rattles and the other gears are ok it may be a selector problem that may be repaired through the top plate without even having to remove the whole box.

Hope this helps.

Danny.

I get no drive in 3rd sometimes, someone i know who was a mechanic reckons its the 3rd gear synchro thats on its way out. Ive checked the selector with nigel (longboarder) and all appears fine

Guest chris brown

I can’t see it being the synchro as that would make it difficult to get in and would grind the gears doing so for all you say you have checked the selectors I still suspect that is the problem – i.e. one side of the fork broken off - but it does mean removing the box to check it as it is right inside the box. Have you ever had problems with 4th as that uses the same selector?

actually nigel and i checked the bit that the gearlever itself attaches to. I will take your advice and check the selector forks.

It only does it in 3rd, 4th is still a smooth change

If you are worried about a scrapyard box being dodgy then buy a whole sierra, drive it a bit and check the box is ok. Then either scrap it at home or find a helpful scrap yard/metal merchant and have the box out at the scrap yard/metal merchant just before giving them the sierra. A cheap sierra is likely to be cheaper than a box from the breakers as a CVH one will do nicely.

Thanks for that idea, im currently on a waiting list at a scrapyard near me for a whole sierra, approx £100 for a whole reasonable sierra. Problem is there getting scarce and all of the really clean ones are commanding more than im willing to pay.

Guest salty_monk

Yep, know where you're coming from. You can usually find them ok in the breakers up round our way, even one from a CVH, estate etc will fit so they shouldn't be in too short supply.

If you're having one reconditioned you could get the longer 1st gear fitted...

Dan

If im getting a whole car ill get a pinto, what will i do with a cvh engine!

Is it really worth getting the longer first gear?

Has anyone fitted a diesel gearbox, would it be worth a try as it should give good acceleration? just curious.

Tom

if you go down the buying a car route be sure to check what box is on it, dont take it for granted to be a type 9.

i've just sold the sierra i drove for the past 2 years - it was a J plate 1.8cvh and i'm pretty certain it wasnt a type 9 box, massive alloy bellhousing with ribs all over it could be an mt75 but never got that close to look at it.

Steve