Flying The Flag For The Lightweight

Guest DRC7

Guest timswait

I'm not sure they're being entirely honest there.

This kit was designed and engineered in the UK by Robin Hood Sportscars.

Was it designed, or did it just happen?

Thorough testing has been done and their car passed SVA testing and is legal for the road.

They mean they pulled on the seatbelt mountings and they didn't break, and when Richards dog sat in it it didn't bend too much!

To further show the strength of the design a Jaguar V12 was installed in a larger version of the kit.

That wasn't a lightweight, that was one of the earlier welded stainless monocoques, a series 3 I think.

got it in a nut shell

my sentiments also.

I'm not sure they're being entirely honest there.

Was it designed, or did it just happen?

They mean they pulled on the seatbelt mountings and they didn't break, and when Richards dog sat in it it didn't bend too much!

That wasn't a lightweight, that was one of the earlier welded stainless monocoques, a series 3 I think.

• 3 weeks later...

hi scott

just looked at the coveland sale site !

the cost of 7995k us d

is a bit over the top to say the least i understand why you bought yours here.

and the description of the goods appears suspect?

graham

Guest ScotMac
hi scott

just looked at the coveland sale site !

the cost of 7995k us d

is a bit over the top to say the least i understand why you bought yours here.

and the description of the goods appears suspect?

graham

Yes, i believe they are over the top...i figure about $500 for shipping, so they are trying to sell them at more than double what they are paying for them. However, note that Coveland, despite their high prices, have not at all had an easy time marketing the l/w. Check out this thread on LocostUSA:

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15079#15079

[ hi scott

i hAVE read the thread and it seams that coveland were dumped on!

it would appear that rhsc packed up a container of crap and sent it to coveland ,

coveland bought a consignment of parts and were sent crap .

ie bought kits and were sent bits.

they seem to have tried to sort things out and eleviate the problem.

they appear to have had bad press????????????

the problem appears to have occured when rhsc were having their own probs , and the problem was sent to your shores.

it is unfortunate that with the global economany that probs here can lead to bigger probs overseas,

and one companies prob can transfer that far.

i still feel the concept of the lightweight is sound and the us purchacers should not be detered by the bad press.

covelands cost price seems expensive but if he bought a container of kits but got a container of bits then you can understand why he is charging what he is.

i feel that i have to produce a list of stengthening required to acchive an sva pass here.

however the requirement is such that a well produced car may well seduce an sva tester in to passing a car that is not fit for use.

i have had many questions re the additional work rqd.

the list goes on and on and i thought i had covered the issues .but it goes on and on.

i do not know how how to produce such a statement andi would struggle to write it all down and end up with a

what i would call a statement of fact.

i would ask the member responsible for the club magazine to contact me so that a featurew can be written to explaine all the strerngthening and relasted issues re the lightweight.

regards graham

scott when you eventually get up perhaps you can answer the points listed

Guest ScotMac

BTW, i forgot to tell you, besides that fact that i would not pay double for Coveland to bring the L/W to NewYork and them pay coveland again to ship it to me, i also bought my l/w quite a while before Coveland came into the picture...so no choice but to buy direct.

I am not fully convinced that that Coveland got crap, instead of the kits. What they are saying about getting bad product from RH could simply be that they didn't realize that the L/W needed strengthening.

Even if they do think they got crap, for whatever reason, that is a reason to charge less, not more. Also, that is no reason to hold up their other deliveries. I think they overextended themselves, financially, and then found it difficult to recover, because they couldn't move (sell) the l/w's, as they anticipated.

In terms of the mag, as i understand it, we (the club members) are all responsible for it. ie, the articles are written by the members. Also, if you do want to go public w/ your strengthening, I think it would be better to also post it online. Not just for the wider distribution, but also for the *much* easier reference, even if you did restrict it to members...and i am not convinced you should restrict it just to members, but is obviously your choice.

I agree that the l/w has receieved too much bad press, compared to the extent of its problems. It does really need the strengthening, but the strengthening is definitely doable.

-Scot :D