Rebuilding The Exmos Front End

Guest joop

Has anyone of you ever changed the front suspension of an Exmo into the double wisbone system

I am planning to do it, but I like to do it as good as possible. I am thinking of building the whole front end as a subframe attached to the firewall. Like the engine of an old prop. fighterplane. I'll have to try to keep the weight as low as possible. The car weighs already 710 kgs(360/350) and has an Opel 20xe engine, which is pretty high without a drysump. What I need is: a drawing with dimensions, tube size and some guidence. If not necessary, I do not wish to invent the wheel again. Can someone help me in this matter ?

I had GingerFix come and help me, here are the results. Untested so far, but goes along what you are saying. http://matthew.augier.info/index.php?album...FExmo_wishbones

Thx Matt for the quick response. I 've looked at your pictures, but it is not what I have in mind. It looks to heavy to me. My idea was initialy to rebuild the car from the bulkhead on to the front, with the help of Ron Champions book or maybe buying a complete front end of a MK chassis. I'll keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest robinperks

Rebuilding the whole front end would be a mamouth task, it would be far cheaper to sell the exmo and go for a 2b. There wouldnt be much if any difference in price - would save a lot of hastle and also would be a far safer option. I myself want to change my exmo to a front wishbone option, and after looking at all of the options and thanks to Mr Matt - community god like person! i will be going down the line of adding a front subframe. I am tho tempted in maybe having the coilovers on the inside, has anyone got any plans, drawings or advise of the best way of doing this?? I have collected over the last few months all the bits to do this, wishbones, coilovers etc just need to get going.

With regards to the rear suspension, does anyone know wether the shock mounting on the sierra trailing arm is strong enough to cope with the springs also - and use this point for coilovers?

With regards to the rear suspension, does anyone know wether the shock mounting on the sierra trailing arm is strong enough to cope with the springs also - and use this point for coilovers?

I've seen it done, but from an engineering perspective it is loading the trailing arm in a way that is wasn't designed for, i'd avoid it.

The shock mount is plenty strong enough for coil over mounting.

This was an option from Robin Hood on the Exmo and series 3.

I have done over 60,000 miles in my exmo with coil overs mounted here with no problems.

Guest timswait
Rebuilding the whole front end would be a mamouth task, it would be far cheaper to sell the exmo and go for a 2b.

I agree, it sounds like a whole load of work. Also from a safety point of view it would probably mean that the engine bay becomes a whole load more rigid than the cockpit area, so in a crash the crumple zone would be the bit that you're sat in. :huh:

It will work, but it imposes an bending moment on the trailing arms, and means you need longer travel dampers, fitting the coil overs into the Sierra spring seat is better if possible.

Guest robinperks
It will work, but it imposes an bending moment on the trailing arms, and means you need longer travel dampers, fitting the coil overs into the Sierra spring seat is better if possible.

Thanks for the advise, ive had a look at where the spring sits and juts in terms of ease of access and installation i was hoping that i could use the shock mount. Never thought about having to use a longer coilover - thanks! this could of been a bit annoying!!

The shock mount is plenty strong enough for coil over mounting.

This was an option from Robin Hood on the Exmo and series 3.

I have done over 60,000 miles in my exmo with coil overs mounted here with no problems.

Excellent sounds great! How did you secure the top? Im asuming that you didnt use the original shock mounting - bloody awefull design as far as i can tell! Mine is on quite an angle, also the bit of angle iron that sticks out has made a hole in the outter section of the shock! Everytime i go over a big bump (or the smallest pebble!) the shock comes up and hits this bit of angle iron!! :good: Have you thought of or changed the front suspension?

The top mount of the coil over is vertically above the bottom mount.

Robin hood supplied an approx 18inch length of 2inch angle iron per side that bolts to the side of the boot/tub. It has a slight bend in it to accomodate the kink in the side panel.

I will attempt to get a picture later this week as this shows better than my words.

Ian

Guest robinperks

Superb! is it that simple?! i wonder if its the same angle iron thats cause me the problems? ill try and get a pic of mine on soon also then.