Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Snapperpaul

I've started this thread to save you looking through all the posts on my original problem of airated oil.

Nervous first start

Tookout the engine Friday and took off the sump today, when i got the pick up pipe off (which is awkward if you dont remove the whole pump) i found that the gasket was the wrong way round and not only obscured half off the pick up tube but also had only a couple of thou sealing the pick up to the pump. Under pressure air was sucked in. Frothy oil by the gallon.

Replaced the gasket with a new one from Fords and i now have a nice powerfull stream of oil, from the spray bar over every cam lobe.

The reason for the title of the post "Stupid, Stupid, Stupid" I put the short sump on and i connected the shortened pickup.

It was very fiddly and the gasket fell out more than once, so i must have put it back the wrong way round.

My fault but no damage done.

Mmm. This thread has got me a bit worried. I put the frothy oil coming out of my spray bar down to the fact the engine hadn't run for a long time and the oil is emulsified. But, I wonder if it is from a similar problem? Is emulsified oil more prone to frothiness? I didn't do the sump shortening on my engine so I don't know the history, and there is certainly 5-6 bar showing on the pressure guage, but I can hear a slightly farty sound from the rocker cover when I stop the engine. I'll change the oil when I get chance and have a peek at the spray bar again, but if it is still frothy, can the sump be removed with the engine in-situ and the pick-up accessed from below the car? I am so close to SVA, I would be well gutted to have to take the engine out now.

Brian