Lsd, Bolt On Shafts And Disc Brakes.

Snapperpaul

I have the chance of getting the rear end off a 4x4 sierra estate for nothing, i could just take the diff (LSD) but thoght while i'm at it may as well have the lot. However the estate rear suspension has huge arms that dont fit the series 3.

The question is can i fit the diff, shafts and discs to the push fit drum braked rear that i have, or do i need to source a standard disc braked rear and just add the diff?

Guest gordon_macnab

Yes you can, I've done a similar thing on mine, just need to relieve the bottom arm a bit with a hammer as the bolt on joints are slightly bigger diameter and may catch.

Guest chris brown
Before Jim arrives with a gruff word... this is all featured in detail on the NW site incl pictures & step by step.

Dan :)

Click here for the first article and here for the second. If you have lobro type joints (bolt on type) then the LSD is a direct replacement but if you have the push in type then you will need to replace the shafts. Its an easy job it took me about 4 hours total the caliper carriers bolt straight on but you will have to fabricate mounting for the inner end of the flexi hoses where they fit to the ridged. As well as dishing the area where the outer joint is I also ground off the relucter ring (ABS ring) I just ground it down on the grindstone but if you have access to a lathe it would make a better job.

Guest salty_monk

As he's going to upgrade to disks as well as LSD he should be fine if he uses the whole set, Diff, shafts & hubs.

I have heard of Locosters using drums & an LSD & running Lobro's inboard & push-ins outboard on the shafts. Not sure it's good practice but they can't go anywhere once it's all tight.....

Dan :)

Sort of a variation on this - or an extension to it.

How difficult should it be to hold one driveshaft still whilst turning the pinion? OK I'm just doing it all by hand but I can relatively easily hold one shaft still whilst doing this and I'd imagine an engine can supply just a little bit more torque than that. Or is there a speed related component to it all? Basically the question is how do I get an idea if it's a good-un out of the car?

Next question since I've managed to twist an allen key on one of the Lobro bolts anyone know a good source for a set of bolts? and maybe a guess at a price? I'm going to ask at the local Ford dealers on Friday just on the off-chance. I've been amazed in the past at how cheap some stuff is whilst staggered at how expensive other bits are.

Iain

Guest chris brown
you can certainly hold a wheel still and turn the other one.

As for the allen key..............who's a silly boy then! they are torque bolts (well they are on mine)

Mine too but have also come across them with multispline but never allen

oddly enough, mine are mix of splined torx bolts, and allen heads. I manged to bust 3 different types of tools when trying to remove them, and then gave up! Fortunately, my boots were only loose, not broken, so i didn't 'have' to take them off, so i just refilled them and resealed.

Guest salty_monk

The LSD works in such a way that you won't get it to activate like that. They are pretty unburstable I think as far as the LSD unit goes as it's hydraulic not plate.

There is a great explanation of the way all the different types work on http://www.howstuffworks.com do a search for Limited slip differential

Dan

Oh good - that's a relief.

They's definitely allen bolts (at least the ones I've cleaned off are). Think I'd need a buzz-gun and suitable socket type adapter to remove them but I'm dubious about it not fouling on the drive-flanges. I'm rather leaning towards carefully cutting the heads off with a grinder and just replacing them.

On the plus side the level plug in the diff is in decent shape and I've managed to slack it off. That'll mean that when I've fitted it I'll no longer have to remove a drive-shaft and jack one side of the car as high as possible to top up the oil level in the diff <_< .

Iain