Smiths/telemetrics Fuel Gauge

Snapperpaul

I have been fitting the gauges amongst other things over the long holiday and have got a problem with the Telemetrics gauge and the sender. It reads over 3/4 full on half a gallon.

There is a gauge sender miss match as the sender is an RHE/Locost one.

Can i calibrate it with resistors or do i need a new sender?

Paul

I still have not sorted mine completely.

The guage and RH supplied sender work back to front.

wrong ohmage too.

I unsoldered the wire from the end of the varialble in the tank and fitted it to the other end.

Tank now shows full when full but 1/3 is "empty". I still have not sorted out a solution. .

One seems to be to use the original mini sender unit., but I need to add a return pipe to it.

Please let me know if you find a sender unit that rings all the bells.

Graham

Paul

Yes, Telemetrics unit.

Was getting worried yesterday - down to 1/3 full, still only got 25 litres into the tank --I need to find a solution.

My local scrappy is not very helpful when it comes to fuel tanks / senders and bits to do with fuel.

I am sure there must be a reasonable solution out there that will work with the single hole I have in the tank , needing sender and fuel pickup and return, all in one.

Graham

I think Longboarder has moded the telemetrics sender unit and added fuel pickup and return, i know someone has.

My next solution will be to get the telemetrics sender and make up an adaptor plate to fit the RHSC tank, the tank has four bolts, the telemetrics sender has 5 and is smaller in diameter, so offset/fix the sender to a plate, drill plate and braze pickup and return pipes then refit using original bolts and seal.

Sounds so simple if you say it quickly.

After a bit research I find that the Telemetrics guages work on european standards of 180 ohms when sender records full and 10 ohms when empty the US standard is of course different at 240 ohms full and 33 ohms empty.

What the sender that i got from Robin Hood gives God only knows, i may have to remove it and measure.

Paul,

I used telemetrics guage and sender. I haven't filled tank yet but with simulated fuel level the accuracy is fine. It is necessary to do a fair bit of design and modification to the sender mounting plate to get it to work. The following images might help understand what is involved. Sorry they are not very good, they were never intended for public consumption! (I took the photo because I was quite chuffed with it, and thought nobody would ever get to see it) The square black plate fits onto the 4 tank studs and is liquid metalled as well. The plate has 5mm tapped holes to fix the telemetrics sender plate. The standard mount post for the pot on the sender is removed and the plate drilled through for a high pressure hydraulic fitting- a pipe is then fitted down to bottom of tank for pickup and pot is re-fixed onto the pickup tube. I've still got RS part numbers for the fittings if it helps. Other fitting is for return.

HTH, Brian

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

Looks a good modification and apart from neatly using the pickup tube to mount the sender, is about what i had envisaged having to do, as i am getting closer to SVA time i think i will modify and fit afterwards.

If you could post or PM me what the bits were and where you got them it would help greatly.

Paul,

Apart from the caerbont sender unit which needs butchering, I only used 2 hydraulic bulkhead fittings and some stainless 6mm hydraulic pipe. I got the fittings from RS Components (stock number 110-551, c.£3 ea.) and the tube was offcuts from work. Tube bends must be a certain distance from the connector to guarantee seal. The hardest part is fitting it all onto the sender mounting plate- it all needs to fit in a 50mm diameter circle. And fitting it into the tank is a cross between engineering and gynacology! Let me know if you want any more info, Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allenr03

It isn't something stupid like a poor earth or something, I had loads of earth issue with my loom. I have used Telemetrix fuel gauge and it works perfrctly with the Fiesta fuel tank supplied with the Superspec. The CAE instrument use industry standard resistances matched to European standards so unless you've got a bizzare sender I can't see why it wouldn't work. Try earthing the gauge separately, don't use the loom earth.

Regards

Richard

The sender is the Lolocost one and with the Telemetrics reads nearly full when empty, i have checked and recrimped all the spade connectors and earthed to the chassis, still no better.

Put on an old guage bought from an autojumble on and it reads better, just looks out of place now.