Where Do I Start My 2b+ Kit?

Guest pmcmanus

Guest pmcmanus

Has anyone written or got hold of a build list for my newly aquired 2b+ kit? I watched the DVD carefully, it seems to cover most of the build but in no particular order!

I believe I have nearly everything in place to start, except a place to start.

RH reccomend going to SVA without a windscreen, is this feasable?

I welcome any comments or help.

Thanks

Pete

pmcma@tiscali.co.uk

Leave the body work as late into the build as you can. You can pretty much build the car fully wired and plumbed without touching the outer bodywork, and you'll reduce the possibility of damaging the body panels.

Don't follow the sequence of the build videos; you'll get into a right mess.

Your first goal is a rolling chassis, followed by engine installation. It is good practice to fit brakes and fuel pipes early too.

Guest shagster

hi pete,

welcome to the club, you could start with the floor pan,get that nice and straight then onto the wishone's,rear axle, then you can atleast push it about, it will also help if you fill in your details and then if there is anybody close to you they might come round and help or just stand there and drink your coffee,

not much help i know but you got to start somewhere and i started there,

good luck pete

mike :D

Guest chris brown

My sequence was :-

1/. Clean chassis of any weld splatter (stainless chassis, if not then paint at this stage using por15 or similar. NOT HAMERITE)

2/. With chassis upside down fit floor (don’t bend round chassis at sides)

3/. Fit rear cross tube and trailing arms. Measure from front wishbone mounting points to trailing arms (corner to corner) to ensure rear suspension will sit square in car as the initial mounting points aren’t that accurate, prior to bolting hard down with a second nut and bolt at each side. I would also recommend doing away with the rubber bushes on each side and weld a thick plate in there place that way there is no need for the extra nut and bolt as it will now be hard down.

4/. Fit front wishbones and uprights (temporary) I used lengths of wood in place of the coilovers just to get it moveable. Turn over and fit front wheels. Build up rear including fitting the diff.

5/. At this stage I fitted the seat back panel but it is now a case that you can go on in lots of different routes but as Enforcer says leave the body outer panels to as late as poss

Guest craig030774

welcome to 18 months of graft head scratching but believe us there is nothing that you will come across that connot be solved through here or with tea and hob nobws

put your location in you will be amazed how close some of us are when hopb nobs are on offer

good luck

welcome pete

if you cant sharpen a drill bit then find a good supplier you will need loads .

also use a drill ;lubricant to cool the dril cos stainless gets harder the more you try to drill it

also send the good lady to boots to get plenty of plasters.

you will also need pills to calm you and if that dont work i find a good bottle of scotch works wonders .

1 step foreward 3 steps back

sounds like a dance ?

give it a few weeks you will know what i mean .

seriously you will find us all as helpfull as posible and if you cant find an answer with a search ,

just ask a question in the appropriate area

best of luck with the build

regards graham

Guest Dan_Beeston

Start by sitting in the chassis and making 'vroom vroom' noises, helps get the enthusiasm going! :-p

Oh, and stick a picture of a completed one on the garage wall!

Good luck matey.......

Yep get to the rolling chassis stage first with floor pan fitted. This is the most satisfying part of the build as you get quickly to the stage that it starts looking like a car.

Hope you kept a note of where each part of the build is on each video if not do so it saves lots of time.

unless they have re-edited the videos recently you will find that some of the instructions relate to earlier 2B models make sure you are not following the wrong instructions for your car.

Come along to Stonleigh at the weekend and talk to members with a model similar to yours

add your full details to the profile someone may be close / be happy to have a run out one sunny day to have a chat.

Phil

Another little tip ( one i should have done but didn't) is if you fit something that is painted or stainless and likely to get scratched, cover it with bubble wrap to save you scratching it, when you fit the scuttle it will become a flat surface for tools, so protect it.

Guest pmcmanus

Thanks to all for your helpfull advice, especially the one who said sit in it and make vroom vroom noises! you'd be amazed how much better I feel!

I shall try and update my personal info, I live in Chippenham, Wilts.

Unfotunately "'er indoors" want DIY on new house done before Seriously getting on with the car, but I will get in a supply of HobNobs anyway just in case.

Unfotunately "'er indoors" want DIY on new house done.

I know the feeling Pete.... I've got a kitchen and two bedrooms "work in progress", then, of course, there's the lawns that need mowing, guttering need clearing...etc etc. I managed to fit two bolts to the car tonight :yahoo:

Guest Guy

Hi Pete,

A good tip is to look at peoples WWW sites, they document the build of their cars very well and you can get a good idea of the build sequence. Mine is www.guyspad.freeserve.co.uk there are lots of others and we all do different things.

If you get stuck, this is the best place to ask.

Guest Phil Slater

I was going to say something similar - check out the Members Cars section. There you will find a number of build diarys of folk who have gone through the trauma - and enjoyment - ;) of a build and then taken the time to record their experience for the benefit of others. They have come up against the majority of pitfalls and problems associated with the build process and found ways around them. I found them, as well of course as the main forum, an invaluable resource when doing my build and am very grateful for the trouble they went to, to share their experience with the rest of us.