Front Wheel Studs

Mat-Moo

Seems to be one step forward and two steps back for me! Got some wheel nuts, and I'm trying to assemble the front suspension (hooray!) However as per the picture, the nut doesn't go on enough to fold the wheel secure (it wobbles on fully tightened). The wheel studs are new longer ones (came when I bought this kit 2nd hand) so I wondered if it's the extra length causing the problem. It looks as though it's stopping at the end of the thread as the nut seems deep enough to take the whole thread+. So do the normal studs have the same amount of empty stud showing (about 1cm)? What other options? Spacers? Grind off the end of these nuts? Thoguhts welcome...

Edit: Just added some 2.5mm washers for a test and seemed to be MUCH better (no play at all from what I could tell)

post-2-1178973729_thumb.jpg

ummm, if its bottoming on the stud when it runs out of thread, then spacers will be needed, but if the nuts are not deep enough then grinding will help, but do you really need long studs on the front?, or is it a requirement when it was a sliding piller jobby

Mitch

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Matt

Pleased to see you have managed to get some nuts.

If it was me doing this I would make sure that you have the right distance, mesure twice cut once springs to mind,then shorten your wheel studs to suit.

If you would prefer standard studs, and your set up is Sierra pm me your address and I will post you 8 std studs.

HTH's

Ian J

Are the normal studs any different though, at the point where the thread finishes?

Mitch : They came with the kit and I changed them as it seemed a waste otherwise (was a few years ago!), it's not the length that's an issue but the distance on blank stud.

3mm spaces seem a easy option to take, and a lot less hassle than changing studs... at the same time if the normal studs do fit better than could be an option (Picture updated)

mat

had the same problem

Drilled the nuts straight through and tapped them out

have just seen your updated pic re the length of plain on the studs

change studs or spacer req.

swan