Injection To Carbs

Guest smegheadsteve

Guest smegheadsteve

Right chaps,just got some gsxr 600 carbs off ebay,then they will be off to knnmanifolds for the respacing etc.

There is lots of usefull info on here but all gets a bit mind blowing when you've been reading it for days on end!

What else am I going to need,currently running a standard 2.0 inj pinto.

Will I need to do anything with the dizzy?

Can I use electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator if required?

What about brake servo?(lack of vaccuum)

Any electrics no longer required?

etc,etc.

Cheers in advance.

PS.

Any hoodies in the wirral area?just wondering if I am the only one!

Steve.

Guest Takumi
Right chaps,just got some gsxr 600 carbs off ebay,then they will be off to knnmanifolds for the respacing etc.

There is lots of usefull info on here but all gets a bit mind blowing when you've been reading it for days on end!

What else am I going to need,currently running a standard 2.0 inj pinto.

Will I need to do anything with the dizzy?

Can I use electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator if required?

What about brake servo?(lack of vaccuum)

Any electrics no longer required?

etc,etc.

Cheers in advance.

PS.

Any hoodies in the wirral area?just wondering if I am the only one!

Steve.

You best bet is to either replace your std inj fuel pump with a small electric motorbike fuel pump, much smaller and deliver much less pressure suitable for the carbs (2-4psi). Or remove the electric pump and fit an old pinto standard diaphragm pump below the dizzy, if yours was an injection there will be a blanking plate there. I'm using the std fuel pump no problems with bike carbs.

Depending on your ecu you may want to fit a different dizzy, either an old vacuum advance type with amplifier, or upgrade to a programmable systems like MegaJolt +Ford EDIS ignition system, but you will need to mount a 32-1 toothed wheel and vr sensor to run it.. probably £100 at most for the conversion..

I'm using an ESCII ignition from the std 1.8L pinto, works fine, but a programmable system would be more fun to play with..

tak

Guest robin
Depending on your ecu you may want to fit a different dizzy, either an old vacuum advance type with amplifier

Where do you run the vac advance from. I'm currently doing the same as Smegheadsteve. I've got the carbs, fuel pump and the manifold is soon to be made up. My current ignition setup is the old small black box with 6/7 wires coming from it. If poss, I'd like to keep this to save some money at the moment.

Robin

Guest Takumi

I am running vacuum from a each runner/port

--I drilled and tapped a small threaded hole in each tube stub, and used 0.8mm MIG welder nozzle tips (M5 or M6 can't rem), and screwed them into the ports with some epoxy over the threads..

You can then join all the vacuum ports together with just small hose T peices.. (-pet shop, for air pumps in aquariums)

I'm using them all joined together with 'T' peices and using one of the outputs to my provide vacuum for my brake servo.

I've also plumbed my crank case breather valve into the carbs, the carbs I'm using have a oil re-circulation port (Mikuni BSR) inbetween carbs 2 & 3, basically in the middle.

see pic.

S1030649.jpg

tak

Guest smegheadsteve

Nice one,sounds like you know what your doing,bit beyond me i'm afraid :o

What will my brakes be like without the vaccuum?

Steve.

What will my brakes be like without the vaccuum

Heavy! but lots of people like them like that. You could ask the manifold man to put a stub on one of the branches for the servo, it will be fine for the brakes on just one. You can't run the vacuum advance on just one though you can just ignore that bit.

Peter

Guest SEgan

I am also interested in this thread, (currently running a 38DGAS on a Pinto 2Ltr)

Takumi your set-up seems to avoid some of the pitfalls of others I have seen and unnecessary expense. Looking at your picture the inlet manifold looks curved on cylinders 1 and 4 is this the case? and does this mean that the bike carbs do not need re-spacing?

Sean

Guest Takumi
I am also interested in this thread, (currently running a 38DGAS on a Pinto 2Ltr)

Takumi your set-up seems to avoid some of the pitfalls of others I have seen and unnecessary expense. Looking at your picture the inlet manifold looks curved on cylinders 1 and 4 is this the case? and does this mean that the bike carbs do not need re-spacing?

Sean

Hi,

Yeah.

- I didn't want to go throught the daunting prospect of re-spacing the carbs myself, maybe it just looks worse than it is.., but yes, I didn't need to respace the carbs as I made the manifold to fit the std carb spacing, the time consuming part was finding some tube which was the right o.d, as you can clearly see, its a recycled Fiat Tipo exhaust, it just happened to be the right o.d and have some usefull bends, still quite a few mm out in the lining up, using rubber hose joiners allows you some play to get them lined up.. and it works...

tak