Breakdown Troubles

Guest turbo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest timswait

I'm also rather worried, can you give more details, you list mod. prop and brakes on your profile, what are the mods? Any other damage, are you OK? :o

Guest turbo

yes thanks,we are all right

the forces here are huge,as it happened i knew it was the prop streight away as this has always been on my mind and so new the exact location of the prop and what damage it could do.

it went when i was in the outside lane and before i got to the middle i had shouted to sandra to get here leg out ofthe way as it went at the front u joint.

luckily the largest impact has hit the floor right on my seat reinforsed u channel which made an impressive dent and hole in that. the side walls of the tunnel i made sure were strong by bolting it all together every 4" with stainless bolts and washers which thankfully held together as the damage is about 2" above the knees,its just well bashed.

the repair looks like a rather large job,

engine gearbox out to repair smashed remote gear selector, electric handbrake switch buggered, seats carpet and tunnell out.

the mentioned mod to my prop was an adapter from the mt75 box i have to the robin hood supplied propshaft for the type 9.

the propshaft has failed at the front u joint which were greased before i made of for stoneleigh in may(about 1200 miles ago)

the prop lasted 5000 miles from new.

than god this happened in a hood and not one of the other sevens as they have plastic tunnels.

but then i suppose they dont have richards props :D

Hmm - I'm now seriously considering getting another propshaft made up. :rhsc:

Me too! :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

OK first question (which I'm sure has come up before):

Can anyone rocommend where to get a good one from and what's the spec? :unknw: :unknw:

Oh and where do GBS come in on this??

Guest robinj66

I've got both (reason = change of engine) propshafts for my Cobra from Leeds tool & Gauge Co, Town Street, Stanningley,Leeds, LS28 6HH - tel Leeds 580266 / 571694. Never had any problems and they only need the measurement from gearbox to diff flange (and the type of gearbox/diff).

My prop was fitted by Robin Hood. It wasn't balanced as people and richard believe that as kit car props are short it doesn't matter.It does. Mine was 90grams out. This caused excessive wear on the rear bearing of the gearbox, hence new gearbox and prop balanced and refitted. I live in Northumberland and the balancing was done by Commercial Propshaft Services, Team Valley, Gateshead. They recommended at some stage having one made and quoted £120-£140 about a year ago. Phone numbers 0191 4821690 mob 07736821690. Give them a ring, they're pretty helpfull.

Guest turbo

just to add the car wouldnt start this morning, this was down to the emergency fuel cut off switch being trigered.

the gearbox mount caseing is gone and eh the gearbox output flange wobles and looses the oil out the back so add new mt75 to the list of repairs :blink:

spoke to gbs and they say they use different uj's now.

Guest Paul Morgan

I bought a Rover V8 to sierra diff propshaft with my kit from RHSC 4 and a bit years ago. With the extra torque I am now worried, has anyone had aproblem with this prop ? were these made in house at RHSC ?

hi jamie

glad you and yours are uninjured. and realy sorry to hear of your bad luck especially with the car up for sale,

all that extra work and expense man it sucs.

regards graham

ps mt75 here yours foc just shipping not sure of condition. pm me if you want it