Oh No Why Me

Phil, that doesn't look too bad. Could just be a case of cutting out that box section and replacing with a new piece. I assume your nose and bonnet are mangled, but provided your chassis rails at the side are straight your structural repair will probably be limited to replacing the upper box section.

Shunt.jpg

Phil, that doesn't look too bad. Could just be a case of cutting out that box section and replacing with a new piece. I assume your nose and bonnet are mangled, but provided your chassis rails at the side are straight your structural repair will probably be limited to replacing the upper box section.

Shunt.jpg

engine has come forward so branch manifold has dented side panel but all other chassis rails look to be fine think it has twisted front to rails in where box rection has gone back. would be great if there was some local to leicester that could pop round with theres so could mesure things up with a tape

the top box section bending that far will have definitely pulled the side tubes in, but they can be spread with a hydraulic ram or similar

the top wishbones have been moved quite a bit so you need to check them and the mountings for distortion - it may have bent them or elongated the bolt holes

looks like a stainless chassis which is more brittle than the mild steel one and could develop cracks on the welds when it is put back in the correct position.

pm Keith Baker as GBS have just fixed his following a bump and pick his brains

Steve

Guest chris brown
engine has come forward so branch manifold has dented side panel but all other chassis rails look to be fine think it has twisted front to rails in where box rection has gone back. would be great if there was some local to leicester that could pop round with theres so could mesure things up with a tape

I suspect as soon as you cut the bent box section the side rails will spring back into there correct position. Looks an easy fix. As for the engine coming forward it will have done, and then gone back again as the mounts have a fare amount of give in them. I tried mating with a BMW about 18 months ago and that bent the side panel around the front of the exhaust hole

Best of luck with the repair

I suspect as soon as you cut the bent box section the side rails will spring back into there correct position. Looks an easy fix. As for the engine coming forward it will have done, and then gone back again as the mounts have a fare amount of give in them. I tried mating with a BMW about 18 months ago and that bent the side panel around the front of the exhaust hole

Best of luck with the repair

rubber engine mounts have sheared off so front of engine still kising radiator (wots left of the rad)

sorry to hear :(

What speed were you and the other vehicle doing when you collided? I assume it's an insurance job, so get it sent to GBS and they will fix it for you.

How did the accident occur?

Hi Phil,

I live on the Leicester side of Melton Mowbray, and have a 2B.

PM me with details of whereabouts you are. I could get over one evening this week.

Or let me know which measurements you want.

Derek.

sorry to hear :(

What speed were you and the other vehicle doing when you collided? I assume it's an insurance job, so get it sent to GBS and they will fix it for you.

How did the accident occur?

was doing about 25 happend head on on a bend ouch. so a tip to you all you never know wots round the next bend

Guest timswait
I suspect as soon as you cut the bent box section the side rails will spring back into there correct position.

I suspect that they'll spring back to some extent, but possibly not to their correct position. Even without the shunt there's likely to be built in stresses in the chassis from welding it, so cut one section and the chassis will spring in some direction. Best to measure someone else's to see how far apart the rails should be and weld the new box in to keep that dimension.

Sorry to hear about it, hope you get it fixed soon.

Phil,

At the mid point of the bend mine is 468mm at the front of the headlight plates its 555mm.

If you want any more give me a shout.

I think you should check the alignment of the chassis not sure how though.

Derek.