Automatic Box

Guest Vito113

Guest Vito113

Anyone built an automatic RH? I'm looking at a Superspec but would need an auto thanks to accident damage I sustained some years ago…

I was thinking along the lines of a Vauxhall 16v and automatic out of an Omega.

Any advice/help mucho appreciated!

Andy

I would say that looking at that you are probably going to be ok lengthways (may need a custom prop) but your problem is going to be its width further back from the bell housing. Be prepared to cut out some chassis tubes and reposition them. You'll also end up with a fatter tunnel, and this is going to impact on the type of seats you will be able to fit (if any).

Have you considered a bike engine? Probably an easier option and you would be able to utilise a 'paddle' shift on the wheel for gear changing.

Doesnt really look much fatter than the MT75 box. It was only the Propshaft coupling that interfered with the tunnel down tubes. Footwells should be the same as standard. Custom prop was the only answer with the MT75 anyway.

Graham

It can be done but the down tubes and gearbox mounting need to be cut and placed further back about 4-5 inch i think to take the extra width of the sierra auto box i have just took the auto out of mine and converted it to manual so got all the auto parts available if wanted by anybody

cheers

si

just to add to the discussion

i am seeking a 95 to 99 granada for a donor for a lightweight with an auto box.

my daughter has a disability that requires her to have an auto,and she wants a 7.

i have spoken to a mate of mine who is in to g/boxes, he recons that the pinto engined auto will do the job.

if the tunnel needs to be made bigger on the lightweight it shouldnt be a major prob as we can cut the floor and move the tunnel sides in to accomodate the box and by loosing the clutch pedel it will make the job easier.

regards graham

Graham, I don't think you'll find a granada of that age with a pinto, probably pre- '89/90.

Nick

cheers nick

i ment to type 85/ 89

regards graham

Spoke with the guy at Robin Hood and the small Ford C3 box as used with Pinto's should fit, it's close, but should be OK. Interestingly, the 3 speed C3 was modified to a 4 speed with lock up for the Scorpio as the A4LDE

thats the one i am looking for if you see one please let me know

85/89 granada auto

regards graham

Guest ScotMac
if the tunnel needs to be made bigger on the lightweight it shouldnt be a major prob as we can cut the floor and move the tunnel sides in to accomodate the box and by loosing the clutch pedel it will make the job easier.

Graham, i assume you mean move the tunnel sides "out". Leaving the outside width constant at 42". I think that would make it VERY difficult to get a seat to fit it. I already had to go w/ the smallest Kirkey racing seats i could find (14.5" inside, 16" outside).

-Scot

hi scott

re the tunnel.

i think that only the front part of the tunnel will need adaption to accomodate the auto box

ie from approx area of the gear stick hole foreward (i hope) i wont realy know till i find a donor and trial fit it.

i do agree that the seats will be a real issue if the box is a lot longer and encroaches into that area,

regards graham

Guest Vito113

Grenada's are all but extinct now, you'd have more luck with a Scorpio especially as everyone hated the sad frog styling!

IIRC, most of the 2.9's used the A4LDE

Looks like the puppy on ebay… aks him to quote the gearbox ID plate first though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Granada-Scorpio...VQQcmdZViewItem

I'd be inclined to buy a complete car so I got the fancy electronic gearchange and control module as well though.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...ORPIO+AUTOMATIC