Three Wheels On My Wagon

Guest Paul Morgan

Guest Paul Morgan

Help !! Been to work in the hood today cos I could for once, on the way home I heard a ticking noise from the N/S rear. I knew what it was straight away as this is the second time has happened on the same wheel. All four wheel nuts had worked loose :o . It only happens on this wheel, has anyone had a similar problem with alloy wheels and how can I stop it happening again without using loctite (don't want to be stuck with a flat I can't remove)

Thanks

Paul

Guest chris brown

Paul

Have you recently changed the studs? I ask because I did when I fitted the alleys as they needed longer ones and were a sod to get fully seated I just went round and re-torque them up each week and even them I lost a nut of one rear wheel. But after a few hundred miles they bedded themselves in and have been no further problem

Have the stud holes in the wheel been damaged from the first time it happened.I had a wheel that once was abit damaged would not seat properly.

Worth a look.

Andy

Guest Paul Morgan

Thanks for the replies, I don't know if it is damaged from the first time. I will take it off and have a look over the weekend. Maybe I will have to get my big wrench on it and tighten and loosen them a few times to try and bed. Then just keep my eye on them.

Paul

Guest allenr03

Why not try swapping the wheel nuts over with another wheel and see if the problem moves to that wheel or stays. If it stays its something to do with the hub, if it moves its the nuts!!

Thats what I'd do anyway.

HTH

Rich

Guest Petemate
Why not try swapping the wheel nuts over with another wheel and see if the problem moves to that wheel or stays. If it stays its something to do with the hub, if it moves its the nuts!

Then if you find it is still the same wheel - remove wheel, BIG bar across the studs to the ground, spacers twixt nut and hub, (spare nut fitted on backwards) long bendover bar and tighten up as tight as poss - repeat all four studs - this will draw in the studs the vital last bit. As said, if they are not fully seated they will keep settling and the nuts loosen. I have an old breakback torque wrench that failed long ago, it is long and strong and welded up. It will loosen just about anything; it is what I used when I fitted the longer studs on the Hood.

Pete