3000 Miles To Graceland

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

Bobson passed his MOT with a few advisories, like stop your brakes leaking and fix the brake light.

Thing is with it being a new engine the first 1500 miles are below 3k rpm, then the next 1500 below 4.5k rpm

It is going to be tedious time running it in. :(

But hey at least I get to go out in him loads until it is run in!!! :D

Well done Tim. Now why don't you just have a run up here to God's country for the weekend. That will click up a few miles on the motorway. Plenty of room for both of you this weekend.

Guest chris brown
We need somewhere to go next weekend to get some miles under the belt thing is 3k rpm is a bit limiting for speed.

3K equates to around 70mph for me so not so bad.

Guest Tim Norman

Not had chance to get over 40 yet. The gearbox is a recon out of a commercial so is stronger but I suspect the gearing is different as well. My digital speedo used to red the same as the mechanical but now the mechanical reads slower.

You can tell how strong the LT77 is from the last letter on the serial number. They started at A and went through to D in the SD1 and then through to J in comercial vehicles. They got stronger with each revision.

I have a D revision from a 2600.

As far as the gearing goes, I have just got my rebuilt 3.38:1 LSD with bolt on shafts back and installed it. This combined with 235/45/r17 tyres will mean that I will be doing 59mph at the rpm that would have been 60mph in an sd1. But I will have a 500cc bigger engine, with 8 throttle bodies.

Guest Tim Norman

Well at the moment I'm in 5th before I,m doing 40mph just trying to keep it under 3k rpm. At 3k its doing 67mph. Thing is I've got that much torque it will pull up to 67 dead easy, so I'm thinking of going to 225/50/17

If you fit bigger tyres you will get to 3000 miles with fewer engine revs! ^_^ :D

Or drain off a pint of oil, top back up with jiff, drive for 1 mile drain and flush, jobs done. Might only need a couple of hundred yards and don't leave it idling for too long! :o Maybe I should stick to electrickery.

Nigel

Have you still got a 3.62:1 diff? If you aren't using bolt on shafts and an LSD it might be worth talking to GBS as they were able to supply me with a 3.38:1 diff from stock.

It just got expensive when I had it rebuilt, it wouldn't have cost much more to go to Rally Design and buy one ready rebuilt, rather than sourcing all the bits myself and getting it rebuilt.